From: usenet@Ra.MsState.Edu
Date: 7 Feb 91 07:53:26 GMT
To: usenet
Subject: Missing files!
Responding-System: ra.MsState.Edu

System: ra.MsState.Edu

There was a problem with /usr/lib/news/history!!
The problem has been taken care of.

In the errlog at about the time these messages are mailed is the
following message:

Feb  7 01:53    Unknown inews: Cannot open /usr/lib/news/active (r+): No such file or directory

Yet:

ls -l /usr/lib/news/active
-rw-r--r--  1 usenet      25767 Feb  7 02:35 /usr/lib/news/active

And looking at the text the active file looks fine (it isn't corrupted
or anything that I can see.

News appears to work fine but if two articles with the same message-id
are offered by our two news feeds we seem at least sometimes to accept
both.  I'll find to messages in a group that diff reports are
identical (including the message-id).  This started at the same time
as the mail messages so I assume they are related.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

FWP
--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921