[news.software.b] Cnews and the cancel control command

ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (02/04/91)

For the first time, I find that I have a real problem with a piece of
the C-news software.  I understand that Henry and Geoff want relaynews
to be small, fast and efficient, but given the abuses that certain sites
and persons are perpetrating on the net I would like to at least try a
minimal set of checking on who is canceling what.

I've read through the control.c file in relay, but don't quite fathom
all the details and don't feel quite confident enough at the moment to
tackle it alone.

Has anyone else felt the desire to have the cancel command be a bit more
controlled in Cnews?  Can you post or send me the changes that you
implemented?  Am I barking at the moon?
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

In article <1991Feb4.002104.12830@wolves.uucp> ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>Has anyone else felt the desire to have the cancel command be a bit more
>controlled in Cnews? ...

The desire, yes... but the flesh is weak. :-)  The problem is that forging
news articles (including control messages) is trivial, and there is no
simple check that cannot be bypassed easily by the determined canceller.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) (02/05/91)

<
<The desire, yes... but the flesh is weak. :-)  The problem is that forging
<news articles (including control messages) is trivial, and there is no
<simple check that cannot be bypassed easily by the determined canceller.

One possible solution is to create some easy to use option that allows
system administrators to disable the automatic canceling.  Other control
messages are easily configured via shell scripts in NEWSBIN/ctl but
cancel is hardwired in to relaynews for efficiency sake.  Why not put
a simple check in relaynews to see if a NEWSBIN/ctl/cancel script
exists and run it, if not continue as things are done now?

Now if we can just give Henry and Geoff a few hundred extra paid hours
to implement all these features we would be in news heaven! :-)
--
David Robinson	david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov 	{decwrl,usc,ames}!elroy!david
Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (02/07/91)

In news.software.b, article <1991Feb4.185130.6956@zoo.toronto.edu>,
  henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
< In article <1991Feb4.002104.12830@wolves.uucp> ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
< >Has anyone else felt the desire to have the cancel command be a bit more
< >controlled in Cnews? ...
<
< The desire, yes... but the flesh is weak. :-)  The problem is that forging
< news articles (including control messages) is trivial, and there is no
< simple check that cannot be bypassed easily by the determined canceller.

And on the other hand, almost every check will fail for some cases.
Messages travel different paths; people post from different machines; News
software inserts "Sender:" headers (and others get mangled sometimes); et al.

Maybe it would be a better idea to "chmod 000" the cancelled article. That
way, it can at least be restored easily if the Cancel was forged.
How about an "uncancel" control message to restore such an article, while
we're at it?

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb4.185130.6956@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Feb4.002104.12830@wolves.uucp> ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>Has anyone else felt the desire to have the cancel command be a bit more
>>controlled in Cnews? ...
>
>The desire, yes... but the flesh is weak. :-)  The problem is that forging
>news articles (including control messages) is trivial, and there is no
>simple check that cannot be bypassed easily by the determined canceller.
>--
>"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Maybe I'm all wet, but what about using the Paths: header?  Ignore the cancel
message if the path of the cancel doesn't match the path of the original
article.  The one main problem I see is that with redundant newsfeeds, the
original and the cancel might have propagated from the poster's machine to my
box down different paths and a legitimate cancel could be rejected.  The other
is that a determined forger on any of the machines involved, or at a neighbour
of any of these machines except the poster's, could forge the appropriate
could forge a cancel.  At least leaf sites of minor sites would be SOL.  (Or
does the Internet make everybody each other's neighbour?  I'm out in UUCP-land
here.)  Are there any other problems with the idea, or are these two problems
sufficient to make it Not Worth Doing?
--
Anthony DeBoer - NAUI #Z8800                           adeboer@gjetor.geac.com
Programmer, Geac J&E Systems Ltd.                    uunet!geac!gjetor!adeboer

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb4.205908.7048@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) writes:

>One possible solution is to create some easy to use option that allows
<system administrators to disable the automatic canceling.

	 The task maybe bigger than you think!  I don't know about
your site, but if I had to hand cancel articles I'd never have time to
do anything else.

->Spike
--
The World - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24,96,192}00bps

In article <1991Feb6.221123.23610@gjetor.geac.COM> adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) writes:
>Maybe I'm all wet, but what about using the Paths: header?  Ignore the cancel
>message if the path of the cancel doesn't match the path of the original
>article...

This is much worse than using the From: line, which is the official method.
News propagation is not the orderly tree structure that some people envision.
Usenet is full of loops and redundancy, and it's not uncommon for sites to
get their news by two or more paths.

Given favorable circumstances, like a naive NNTP site along the route, it
is also possible to forge Path:.
--

bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) (02/08/91)

In article <ds-oh2.9!1@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

>Maybe it would be a better idea to "chmod 000" the cancelled article. That
>way, it can at least be restored easily if the Cancel was forged.

Sounds OK so far...

>How about an "uncancel" control message to restore such an article, while
>we're at it?

Isn't there already enough of a problem with newgroup/rmgroup ``wars''?
Do we really need to add cancel/uncancel wars?

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (02/08/91)

In article <SPIKE.91Feb6175121@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
|	 The task maybe bigger than you think!  I don't know about
|your site, but if I had to hand cancel articles I'd never have time to
|do anything else.

It's probably easiest just to ignore cancels.  The amount of extra disk
space taken up is a very small percentage of the news you get (usually,
unless your feed consists solely of talk.bizarre :-)), and the articles
will expire away eventually.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (02/09/91)

In news.software.b, article <1991Feb8.033709.6510@blilly.UUCP>,
  bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) writes:
< In article <ds-oh2.9!1@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
<
< >How about an "uncancel" control message to restore such an article, while
< >we're at it?
<
< Isn't there already enough of a problem with newgroup/rmgroup ``wars''?
< Do we really need to add cancel/uncancel wars?
<
I suppose I forgot the half-smiley.