[news.software.b] daemon version of relay news?

george@fornax.ECE.CMU.EDU (George Cebulka) (02/12/91)

Setup: uVax2 running Ultrix3.1 and cnews (patch date 16-Apr-90), NNTP 1.5.10

In the latest release of nntp (V1.5.11) there was mention of a "daemon version"
of relaynews in common/conf.h file. I currently run relaynews via newsrun
which is envoked from a crontab entry. Can anyone tell me if the daemon version
is a win over the crontab/newsrun version? If can you also tell me where to
get it?

Also What are the latest releases of cnews and rn?

	Thanks in Advance
	George Cebulka, ECE Facilities, Carnegie Mellon.

	"If trees have windows then pancakes must have wings."

--
	George Cebulka, ECE Facilities, Carnegie Mellon.

	"If trees have windows then pancakes must have wings."

george@taca.ECE.CMU.EDU (George Cebulka) (02/12/91)

News Configuration:
	 uVax2 running Ultrix3.1 and cnews (patch date 16-Apr-90), NNTP 1.5.10

In the latest release of nntp (V1.5.11) there was mention of a "daemon version"
of relaynews in common/conf.h file. I currently run relaynews via newsrun
which is envoked from a crontab entry. Can anyone tell me if the daemon version
is a win over the crontab/newsrun version? If it is, can you also tell me where

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.184027.28223@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> george@fornax.ECE.CMU.EDU (George Cebulka) writes:
> In the latest release of nntp (V1.5.11) there was mention of a "daemon version"
>of relaynews in common/conf.h file. I currently run relaynews via newsrun
>which is envoked from a crontab entry. Can anyone tell me if the daemon version
>is a win over the crontab/newsrun version? If can you also tell me where to
>get it?

I think it's a win.  It helps even out the load significantly when you
run nntplink with other sites.  Paul Vixie's message id daemon also
helps.

If you want to find the daemon version of relaynews, Dave Alden has
the patches on shape.mps.ohio-state.edu for anon. ftp.
--
Rich Kaul                         | Every man is given the key to the door
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | of heaven; unfortunately, the same key

alden@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Dave Alden) (02/13/91)

In article <KAUL.91Feb12095553@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu> kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) writes:
>I think it's a win.  It helps even out the load significantly when you
>run nntplink with other sites.  Paul Vixie's message id daemon also
>helps.
>
>If you want to find the daemon version of relaynews, Dave Alden has
>the patches on shape.mps.ohio-state.edu for anon. ftp.

Just thought I'd mention that shape.mps.ohio-state.edu has been down
more often than up since Sunday.  I'm hoping to get everything stable
by Thursday morning (my brand-spanking new 1.0G drives are acting up,
so I get to replace all 3 of them.  :-(

...dave