[news.software.b] using 'readnews' on Cnews system

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (02/17/91)

When I run the 'readnews' program that got built when I installed
Cnews, it dies with a "Segmentation Violation - core dumped."

Does something have to be done to make that work?

Also, does anyone have any Cnews versions of the "how to" files
that come with Bnews 2.11?  These would be useful to new users
to teach them how to use the usenet, but they have usage info that
is incorrect for cnews.

Thanks,
Bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp              The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (02/18/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>When I run the 'readnews' program that got built when I installed
>Cnews, it dies with a "Segmentation Violation - core dumped."

I got the same thing - so I am running with the readnews and vnews
that came with B-news

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

In article <1991Feb16.172953.13982@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>When I run the 'readnews' program that got built when I installed
>Cnews, it dies with a "Segmentation Violation - core dumped."
>
>Does something have to be done to make that work?

Not that is known.  *However*, there is a known bug in readnews that causes
core dumps when an article with no Date: header shows up.  (To be precise,
this one is my fault; the original author is not to blame.)  The next patch
will fix this, and quite soon relaynews will discard such articles anyway --
they are illegal.
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

In article <1991Feb18.150218.16846@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I got the same thing - so I am running with the readnews and vnews
>that came with B-news

This is in any case a reasonable thing to do if you've gotten used to the
existing readers.  C News readnews is *very* simple, intended mostly to be
a novice-friendly interface for people who very seldom read news.
--

heiser@tdw206.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb19.215759.23372@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>This is in any case a reasonable thing to do if you've gotten used to the
>existing readers.  C News readnews is *very* simple, intended mostly to be
>a novice-friendly interface for people who very seldom read news.

Agreed.  I don't want to use them myself - but want to be able to distribute
the "how to read network news" document that came with Bnews (but which Cnews
lacks) to my new users.

That document specifically discusses vnews and readnews, and not trn or rn.

I suppose a better solution would be to write my own document to discuss
those (much better) readers...  Oh, time, time, time....

--
Work: heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
      {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201.ed.ray.com!heiser