[news.software.b] trn bug???

mcormier@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michel B. Cormier) (02/25/91)

Last week a user of mine was trying to cancel one of his article
while using trn (invoked either as trn or rn -X -x ... there is no
difference for the bug!) but was always getting a message saying that
he can only cancel his own article.  After verifying with a few
of my neighbour's site the problem seem to occur for everyone.  However,
we can still cancel an article using using trn invoked as 'normal rn'.
Anybody has seen this problem or fixes for it????  I did try to send the
bug report to davison@dri.com but got no answer.

MBC
--
Michel B. Cormier              | UUCP: mcormier@micor.uucp
Computer Consultant            | Internet: mcormier@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.200634.16723@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca>
	mcormier@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michel B. Cormier) writes:
>[...] a user of mine was trying to cancel one of his article
>while using trn [...] but was always getting a message saying that
>he can only cancel his own article.

It works fine here.

You will get this complaint if trn can't find the sitename in From:
and the user name in either From: or Reply-To:.  The news administrator
and root should bypass the user check but not the site check.  The
logic is in respond.c line 434 if you'd like to check yourself.
I'd guess a discrepancy is happening in the `sitename' and `logname'
initializations.  I'd suggest running the following in `trn':

	!echo %H %L

and compare what it says to the site and user names in the article header.
Another thing to try is to see if the news admin can cancel somebody else's
(locally posted) article.  Since that short-circuits the user check, this
might also provide useful info.
--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.

dmm0t@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Meyer) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb24.200634.16723@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca> mcormier@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michel B. Cormier) writes:

>Last week a user of mine was trying to cancel one of his article
>while using trn (invoked either as trn or rn -X -x ... there is no
>difference for the bug!) but was always getting a message saying that
>he can only cancel his own article.  After verifying with a few
>of my neighbour's site the problem seem to occur for everyone.  However,
>we can still cancel an article using using trn invoked as 'normal rn'.
>Anybody has seen this problem or fixes for it????  I did try to send the
>bug report to davison@dri.com but got no answer.

I had the same problem when I set up trn.  The problem was that
the machine name I was using was "Virginia.EDU" and the machine
name trn was looking for was "virginia.edu".  Apparently trn
is case sensitive about these things.  It would have been
a pretty simple hack to make trn case insensitive if I'd known
C, but I don't, so I changed our machine name to all lowercase.

--
David M. Meyer                                   | dmm0t@virginia.edu
Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering | (804) 924-7926