[news.software.b] "Bogus" group propagation

david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) (02/26/91)

In article <%&}&J^&@rpi.edu> tale@rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>This whole thing leads to propagation of groups (not just their articles)
>by insipient seepage in all hierarchies. [...]
> [...]  The problem is
>aggravated by sites which still automatically created a new group each time
>it gets one it never heard of before --- a practise the main Unix systems
>ditched very long ago.

Being at a site that is high on the propagation list and which talks to a
number of other top 40 propigation hosts I would tend to catagorize your
last statement as false.  A large number of "backbone" (and I use that
term very lightly) sites have the attitude that they accept and pass along
any newsgroup that has traffic.  There is also a group of people who
feel that the entire "voting" system is a joke, see discussions about
the inet distribution in nntp-managers.

I think most people do not consider bogus or otherwise "unofficial"
newgroup messages too much of a nuisance.  The biggest complaint I
have heard about them are from sites with either old news software,
old newsreaders or both which have hardwired limits such as 512 or 1024
groups.  The cost of a directory entry is not much for most people.

People who have to deal with real costs in transporting news are effected
by traffic they don't want,  but that is easily solved by using an
explicit sys file entry.  People who want to maintain a "pure" namespace
are just living in the pipe dream that they can impose any real structure
on USENET and that it will make any difference in the long run.
--
David Robinson	david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov 	{decwrl,usc,ames}!elroy!david
Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!

tale@rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.195406.7488@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
(David Robinson) writes:

   In article <%&}&J^&@rpi.edu> tale@rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
   > [...]  The problem is aggravated by sites which still automatically
   > created a new group each time it gets one it never heard of before
   > --- a practise the main Unix systems ditched very long ago.

   Being at a site that is high on the propagation list and which talks to a
   number of other top 40 propigation hosts I would tend to catagorize your
   last statement as false.

Also being one of those sites, as if it is relevant to either of our
positions, I challenge you to show me any significant number of B News
or C News sites which have hacked up the distribution to allow
automatic creation of any groups which appears in Newsgroups: that it
did not already know.  I stand by my statement as truth until such a time.

   There is also a group of people who feel that the entire "voting"
   system is a joke, see discussions about the inet distribution in
   nntp-managers.

I already have.  I assue you, also, that I am one of the people who is
very disatisfied with the whole USENET newsgroup creation procedure.
Surprised?  I don't think the voting system is a "joke", but it just
should not be done the way it is.  I also support the notion that
groups which get traffic should exist --- in the current climate,
however, this is an iffy proposition because sites don't seem to have
any way of knowing what reasonably exists and what doesn't.  This
makes communication among users an iffy proposition, and I think the
hodge-podge of just willy-nilly accepting anything you get articles
for leads to far greater confusion and far less of a service to people.

   I think most people do not consider bogus or otherwise "unofficial"
   newgroup messages too much of a nuisance.  The biggest complaint I
   have heard about them are from sites with either old news software,
   old newsreaders or both which have hardwired limits such as 512 or 1024
   groups.  The cost of a directory entry is not much for most people.

It is hardly the directory entry I am concerned about.  It is making
discussion channels available to people with a reasonable guess that
they will not be shooting their messages down a black hole where
comparatively very few people who are interested in the topic are
actually going to see it.  I also have little sympathy for sites which
have so little concern for really contributing to the network that
they can't keep their software remotely current.

   People who want to maintain a "pure" namespace are just living in
   the pipe dream that they can impose any real structure on USENET
   and that it will make any difference in the long run.

I think this is a load of hooey, and if you really read the messages
in nntp-managers you would know that one of the people living this
pipe dream is one of the very same people who is also discouraged by
the guidelines.  No, I don't think the namespace can be pure.  It can
be a lot better than just having an random group crop up from
anywhere with some stupid name, splitting traffic that already has a
suitable place, making it difficult for the messages to be seen by
people who would really want to see them.  The current climate and
technology around USENET just does not support that right now.
--
    (setq mail '("tale@rpi.edu" "uupsi!rpi!tale" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))