[news.software.b] Setup to minimize modem traffic under C news?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (03/05/91)

I'm running C news on both ends, and am sending a partial newsfeed
to a leaf site with (currently) only a 2400bps modem.  Is there something
in the setup that can tell C news not to send all the news right back?
It just gets rejected as duplicate, (99.9%, anyway) and ties up both
modems for twice as long as needed.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

In article <1991Mar4.185920.5810@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>I'm running C news on both ends, and am sending a partial newsfeed
>to a leaf site with (currently) only a 2400bps modem.  Is there something
>in the setup that can tell C news not to send all the news right back?

You've got a broken configuration.  C News does not do that when configured
properly.  To quote build:

   Several programs need to know an overall name for the system news is
   being run on, where "system" may include multiple machines if they
   share a common set of control files and articles; this is used in
   article headers and related places.  For uucp sites, this usually
   should be the uucp name.  It is VITAL that you and your neighboring
   sites agree on this name -- if their news systems know you by a
   different name, or even a slightly-different variation of the same
   overall name, there will be trouble...

You've run into one form of the aforementioned trouble.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry