[news.software.b] Another CNews Question

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/09/91)

I record the output of "df -t" every night just before I run expire.  Is
it reasonable to expect that if I run "df -t" immediately after the
expire, the difference in the number of inodes will equal the number of
articles expired?

I'm trying to get a handle on whether or not CNews is throwing away any
incoming news.  (I have "rnews.stall" in /usr/lib/news.)

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.170213.26759@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I record the output of "df -t" every night just before I run expire.  Is
>it reasonable to expect that if I run "df -t" immediately after the
>expire, the difference in the number of inodes will equal the number of
>articles expired?

I find that for about the same price of admission, "df -iv" is more
informative than "df -t".
I should think that your proposition is about right. Article expired = inode
reclaimed.

>I'm trying to get a handle on whether or not CNews is throwing away any
>incoming news.  (I have "rnews.stall" in /usr/lib/news.)

Why do you suspect that you're losing articles?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1991Mar8.170213.26759@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I record the output of "df -t" every night just before I run expire.  Is
>it reasonable to expect that if I run "df -t" immediately after the
>expire, the difference in the number of inodes will equal the number of
>articles expired?

Yes, provided you allow for (a) any directories created due to archiving,
and (b) any incoming news processed during expiry.  (A running expire
does not lock out incoming processing.)  (No, there is no possibility
of race conditions, although the code and the reasoning behind it are
subtle.)
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry