[news.software.b] Expire: wrong number of fields in history

warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) (03/19/91)

  Anybody know a clever way to track these articles down and kill `em off so
they're not causing problems?  I get this mail every day from doexpire:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  (start)
expire problems:
expire: wrong number of fields in history `<1991Feb20.153104.4390@aucs.AcadiaU.ca>	...'
expire: wrong number of fields in history `<1991Feb26.200814.20317@cs.cmu.edu>	6676...'
expire: wrong number of fields in history `<BF1Ny1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>	668858933...'
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  (finish)

  The start and finish are added by me, of course.  Anyway, I'm running CNews
(just shy of the latest patch), NNTP 1.5.11 and I'm a wee bit short of space in
the slice where I keep the history files (periodic warnings, but no real
problem).  Short of grepping for the ID in every article on my system, how do I
dispose of these guys?

--
Warlock, AKA		+-----------------------------------------------+
John Kennedy		|    internet:	   warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu	|

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.095440.6559@ecst.csuchico.edu> warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu
(John Kennedy) writes:
>  Anybody know a clever way to track these articles down and kill `em off so
>they're not causing problems?  I get this mail every day from doexpire:

    The bad lines in the history file cause more problems than the
    articles themselves do.  Edit 'em out and run mkdbm, being sure to
    lock the news system while doing so.  I just leave the articles
    there if I can't find them by reading the mangled history lines.
    There aren't that many of them, and they do get cleaned out
    eventually.

>Short of grepping for the ID in every article on my system, how do I
>dispose of these guys?

    At least one of the lines in the example you gave included the
    installation time of the article, which should suggest something.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

In article <1991Mar19.095440.6559@ecst.csuchico.edu> warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) writes:
>  Anybody know a clever way to track these articles down and kill `em off so
>they're not causing problems?  I get this mail every day from doexpire:
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  (start)
>expire problems:
>expire: wrong number of fields in history `<1991Feb20.153104.4390@aucs.AcadiaU.ca>	...'

This is not a problem with the articles; it is a problem with your history
file.  How it happened I couldn't be sure.  The simple fix is to rebuild
the history file with mkhistory.  (There is a more elegant fix but it
requires more detailed knowledge of the machinery.)
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.095440.6559@ecst.csuchico.edu> warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) writes:

>  Anybody know a clever way to track these articles down and kill `em off so
>they're not causing problems?  I get this mail every day from doexpire:
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  (start)
>expire problems:
>expire: wrong number of fields in history `<1991Feb20.153104.4390@aucs.AcadiaU.ca>	...'
>expire: wrong number of fields in history `<1991Feb26.200814.20317@cs.cmu.edu>	6676...'
>expire: wrong number of fields in history `<BF1Ny1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>	668858933...'
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  (finish)
>
>  The start and finish are added by me, of course.  Anyway, I'm running CNews
>(just shy of the latest patch), NNTP 1.5.11 and I'm a wee bit short of space in
>the slice where I keep the history files (periodic warnings, but no real
>problem).  Short of grepping for the ID in every article on my system, how do I
>dispose of these guys?

I was able to remove them rather drastically, but it worked. Try
deleting your history files (or mv them to another name), then run
mkhistory. Sort of like stopping a car by slamming it into reverse,
but it rebuilds the fields and never caused me any problems.

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430