[news.software.b] Corrupt history file?

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/14/91)

I've gotten this message in mail three days in a row:

  expire problems:
  expire: `'r\022r\036' is not a directory (No such file or directory)

Is it a corrupt line in the history file?
What's the fastest cure?
I assume that editing a 6 MB history file (which my 'vi' wouldn't handle
anyways) is not the first thing I should try.
Just rebuild the history file?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1991Mar14.053233.26712@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>I've gotten this message in mail three days in a row:
>
>  expire problems:
>  expire: `'r\022r\036' is not a directory (No such file or directory)
>
>Is it a corrupt line in the history file?

No, it's a corrupt line in your explist file.  That message comes out when
an archiving directory, specified either in explist or in the -a option,
cannot be found.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/20/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>[...]That message comes out when
>an archiving directory, specified either in explist or in the -a option,
>cannot be found.

I've seen a couple of messages from Henry to this effect -- "message A means
problem B."

It seems like these things could be added to the error messages.  I realize
that it would make things pretty verbose, but sometimes it's REALLY HARD to
grep through the source to find the error message text, then go to that
place and understand what conditions lead to the error.

This is kind of a general comment about error messages, I guess -- how do
you explain to the user just what conditions might have lead up to this
error being detected?  When isn't it worth it?

In article <2861@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I've seen a couple of messages from Henry to this effect -- "message A means
>problem B."
>
>It seems like these things could be added to the error messages.  I realize
>that it would make things pretty verbose...

Unfortunately, you can end up with each error message being a paragraph
long, and it *still* isn't as explicit as you'd like.  There is also a very
serious problem with people treating a best guess as Holy Writ and never
looking for any other cause.

While the messages could stand improving in a number of places, the real
solution to this is a Troubleshooting Guide for the novices.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry