[news.software.b] cnews install problems

fsb@vitro.com (Steve Brailsford) (03/22/91)

I am the admin for cnews.  I compile the program under my
uid and when I say to put inews and other such programs
in /bin the doit.bin script fails because I, of course,
can't write there.  Is this addressed in the patches to come?
Can you move the install part to the again.root maybe?
Same with man pages.  I don't have access to write there.

Thanks.
--
    Steve Brailsford (fsb@vitro.com)      _____
    Usenet:  uupsi!vitro!fsb            \/itro Corporation

In article <1991Mar22.135124.3472@vitro.com> fsb@vitro.com (Steve Brailsford) writes:
>... when I say to put inews and other such programs
>in /bin the doit.bin script fails because I, of course,
>can't write there.  Is this addressed in the patches to come?

Not immediately.  There is a long-term plan to split doit.bin into two
pieces, one for building the programs and one for installing them, as
a lot of people want to run these two phases with different permissions.

>Can you move the install part to the again.root maybe?

No; we think it unwise and improper to ask people to run more than the
bare minimum as root.  doit.root and again.root are deliberately kept
short and simple, so people can proofread them to make sure nothing
untoward is being done.  (You *ought* to proofread anything that somebody
asks you to run as root!)
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry