[news.software.b] C-News 16Mar91 compile problem

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (03/20/91)

I have just tried to re-build C-News on my system incorporating the latest
patch (16Mar91) and find that I can't.  It seems this patch has now caused
the code to be broken on my system.  The problem is the SIG_IGN statements
in ../relay/relaynews.c, they need a typedef for sigarg_t.  Prior to this patch,
this was included in ../h/libc.h  Adding the two lines:

typedef VOID (*sigret_t)();
typedef VOID (*sigarg_t)():

back in where they used to be solves the problem.

Where they taken out on purpose or by accident?  Henry?
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30

In article <1991Mar19.221551.6408@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>I have just tried to re-build C-News on my system incorporating the latest
>patch (16Mar91) and find that I can't.  It seems this patch has now caused
>the code to be broken on my system...

I'd appreciate it if people installing patches would *read* the commentary
that precedes them first.  From the 16-Mar-1991 commentary:

  This again is the first of a set, which should appear within the next week.
  The members of the set are interrelated to some extent, and installing one
  without the others voids your warranty. :-) ...
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.080059.19992@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.221551.6408@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>>I have just tried to re-build C-News on my system incorporating the latest
>>patch (16Mar91) and find that I can't.  It seems this patch has now caused
>>the code to be broken on my system...
>
>I'd appreciate it if people installing patches would *read* the commentary
>that precedes them first.  From the 16-Mar-1991 commentary:

Mea culpa!  I actually did read the commentary AND the patches and didn't see
anything that would (I thought) break the system.  With the two line change,
I mentioned in my original posting, everything is humming along just fine.

Waiting patiently for the remaining patches,
--

lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) (03/22/91)

=
=I'd appreciate it if people installing patches would *read* the commentary
=that precedes them first.  From the 16-Mar-1991 commentary:
=
=  This again is the first of a set, which should appear within the next week.
=  The members of the set are interrelated to some extent, and installing one
=  without the others voids your warranty. :-) ...

What is the point in sending out a series of interrelated patches over
an extended period of time?  Are you afraid of overloading the net?
All you are doing is increasing the likelyhood that people will miss
one of the patches.

AHA!  I figured it out!  Your patch identification scheme doesn't
allow you to send out more than one a day!  Time to change to
numbering?  Just asking.

--
Larry Blair   lmb@sat.com   {apple,decwrl}!sat!lmb

In article <1991Mar21.184409.25608@sat.com> lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>What is the point in sending out a series of interrelated patches over
>an extended period of time?  Are you afraid of overloading the net?

No, actually, the point of it is that preparation of a patch is a significant
amount of work and I'm very busy right now.  (Building the patch itself is
entirely mechanized, but checking it over is not.)  The patches of the 16th
and 17th actually got built only a couple of hours apart, but I didn't have
time to proofread the second one then.  Another reason for a small delay in
the 17th and subsequent patches was to give some of the final mods a few
days of operation on utzoo before posting them; we take this seriously as
a final checkout.

>AHA!  I figured it out!  Your patch identification scheme doesn't
>allow you to send out more than one a day! ...

Not usually a problem.  I can always backdate or forward-date them if
really necessary.
--

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (03/23/91)

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:

>I have just tried to re-build C-News on my system incorporating the latest
>patch (16Mar91) and find that I can't.  It seems this patch has now caused
>the code to be broken on my system.

This patch is the first of a set.  Didn't you read the header lines at the
top of the patch?  I quote:

	This again is the first of a set, which should
	appear within the next week.  The members of the
	set are interrelated to some extent, and installing
	one without the others voids your warranty. :-)

Try rebuilding *after* you get the other patches in the series.

derek
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG -- U of MN Women's Lax
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need