[news.software.b] tar cvf question

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) (03/24/91)

If one were to issue the command: tar cvf *   Where does the data go?
I did this on my machine knowing that I could very quickly fill up my
disk and possibly crash the system.  I found that the first ascii file
in the dirctory ended up being screwed up with what I assumed to be
all the data of all the rest of the files in that directory.

Could someone explain exactly what happens?  (BTW I bet this can be an
excellent way to crash a system.)

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (03/25/91)

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) wrote:
>If one were to issue the command: tar cvf *   Where does the data go?
>I did this on my machine knowing that I could very quickly fill up my
>disk and possibly crash the system.  I found that the first ascii file
>in the dirctory ended up being screwed up with what I assumed to be
>all the data of all the rest of the files in that directory.

All but the first file that * matches were tarred to the first file that
* matches. The f flag expects an argument that is the name of the tar
file.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301