[news.software.b] LOCK duty cycle

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (03/27/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

   [ I wrote: ]
> > Basically, just forcibly lower the [ LOCK, from newsrun ] duty cycle.

> Actually, in systems where news comes in compressed, there is already an
> effect much like this, since newsrun and friends take time off from holding
> down LOCK every time they have to decompress a batch.

My systems *do* run compressed, but the CPU/disc imbalance on my systems
(they're PeeCees :-( and probably too many of them run Unix nowadays :-)
means that newsrun goes on for a lot longer than compress, so that
amount of holdoff isn't enough.  So I do need to increase it, and if I
do, I guess there are others who do too.  So, an official C news way of
doing this would, I think, be useful.

Danke Schoen.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)