[news.software.b] Unsubscribed newsgroup message from Cnews

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) (03/24/91)

Cnews regularly sends me mail stating that gnu.misc.discuss is on the
"top ten list of unsubscribed newsgroups."  I checked the log files
and it turns out that it is tossing any article posted to that group
unless it is crossposted to another newsgroup.

I looked though the docs but didn't find any mention of this problem.
What the heck is an "unsubscribed newsgroup" and how do I fix this?

On a completely unrelated note, for some reason rn keeps messing up my
signature.  When I cat the article itself it looks ok, but when I read
it with rn extra spaces get added before the vertical bar (`|') and it
doesn't line up anymore (not to mention having the quote scroll onto
the next line and look generally ugly).  I'm running version 4.3.2.11
(patchlevel 54) dated 91/01/04.

Thanks for your help.

cjs
--
curt@cynic.uucp	        | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)

In article <1991Mar23.231126.4840@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt J. Sampson) writes:
>Cnews regularly sends me mail stating that gnu.misc.discuss is on the
>"top ten list of unsubscribed newsgroups."  I checked the log files
>and it turns out that it is tossing any article posted to that group
>unless it is crossposted to another newsgroup.
>
>I looked though the docs but didn't find any mention of this problem.
>What the heck is an "unsubscribed newsgroup" and how do I fix this?

See the discussion of "subscriptions" in man/news.5 for details; sounds
like you didn't look through the docs very hard. :-)

What's happening is that the ME line in your sys file says you don't
want that group.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

root@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Super user) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar24.111417.2221@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>like you didn't look through the docs very hard. :-)
>
>What's happening is that the ME line in your sys file says you don't
>want that group.

I have the same behavior here, using ME:all as my sys entry (it was suggested
in the SCO cnews hint file sent from another XENIX newsadmin)... is the
syntax incorrect?

--
Public Access UUCP/UseNet (Waffle/XENIX 1.63)  | kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca|
    TB+: 604-753-9960  2400: 604-754-9964      | ..van-bc!oneb!kmcvay    |

steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (03/29/91)

As quoted from <1991Mar24.111417.2221@zoo.toronto.edu> by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):

| like you didn't look through the docs very hard. :-)
|
| What's happening is that the ME line in your sys file says you don't
| want that group.
+---------------

Henry -- wouldn't this also exist if the < ~/active > file was lacking
that particular "news group" in it??

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org

In article <1991Mar28.203501.1043@nshore.ncoast.org> steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) writes:
>| >Cnews regularly sends me mail stating that gnu.misc.discuss is on the
>| >"top ten list of unsubscribed newsgroups."....
>|
>| What's happening is that the ME line in your sys file says you don't
>| want that group.
>
>Henry -- wouldn't this also exist if the < ~/active > file was lacking
>that particular "news group" in it??

No, then it gets reported as "unknown", not "unsubscribed".
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry