[news.software.b] Use of Distribution: header

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar29.003409.21974@scd.hp.com> schmitz@scd.hp.com (John Schmitz) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.194737.5337@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>> In many areas of the net, the use of a Distribution header to limit
>> distribution of an article in a netwide group simply doesn't work properly
>> at all any more.  Am I the only one who considers this a serious trend that
>> should be averted now?

>I agree this is a serious problem and I know that some news systems
>completely ignore distributions (no flames about that here, please).

I'll freely grant that sites exist that seem to be set up to minimize
the usefulness of the Distribution: header.  However, this site is not
one of them.  (Nor am I claiming that anyone thinks it is; this is
merely a "constructive proof" that a site can be set up to make use of
the header in question.)

>But if distributions were only geographic (or bounded) in nature, it
>would be easy to stop the propogation of unwanted distributions no
>matter how the articles arrived.  Now, however, it is impossible to tell
>what is and isn't a valid distribution, so you are forced to pass
>everything.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here -- but I happen to find

Indeed, in the "distributions" field of the (C News) sys file entries, I
explicitly specify only distributions that I know to be valid.  (Thus,
for example, I do not include such things as "comp" or "soc" as
recognized distributions.)

Granted, that means that some articles are not propagated through this
site; then again, each of those articles specifies a "Distribution:"
header that indicates to me that it is not to be propagated (because
none of the distributions specified therein is valid for propagation
over any of the links in question).

Elaborating a bit:  Although this site is in southern California, I
prefer to receive the "ba" distribution (and the "ba.*" hierarchy, for
that matter -- though they are quite distinct in my mind), largely
because I have family in the San Francisco Bay area -- and I visit
there with moderate frequency.  However, I do not propagate the "ba"
distribution to any other site except by explicit request.

Thus, in spite of the assertion in <1991Mar29.003409.21974@scd.hp.com>,
I do not find myself "forced to pass everything."

I confess that I become mildly annoyed, though, when I see a posting
about an event in (say) the SF Bay area with a distribuution of "ca"
(which is used in this area to refer to California; I understand that
there exist contexts in which the same abbreviation is used to refer to
Canada) -- rather than a distribution of "ba".  After all, in such a
case, we are not dealing with a null (or non-existent) Distribution:
header -- the header exists, but has a rather inappropriate value.  It
is thus distinguished from the bulk of the infamous "Car for sale in
New Jersey" articles.

On the other hand, I'm hardly convinced that the existing
implementation(s) regarding Distribution: are completely ideal; in
particular, any site that accepts a given distribution from two
different sites, when the two sites do not agree on what the
distribution in question means, is contributing to the lack of
usefulness of the header in question.  (I recall having read of a couple
of semantically distinct meanings for the distribution "uk", for
example.)

It is not clear to me what useful action might be taken to deal with
this; the best I have been able to figure out is to do with my site
what I described above -- make sure I have some understanding of each
distinct valid distribution; I am quite willing to drop articles with
"invalid" (for this site) distributions on the floor.  (I suppose I
could be accused of being somewhat of a "techno-bigot" for such an
attitude.  Oh, well....)
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/31/91)

I set up my sys file explicitly backwards: I have .../all,!local,!this,!that
depending on the site I'm talking to. This blocks only postings I know don't
need to go to that site. Typos still make it through. I'd much rather do this
than try to keep track of all the distributions in the world.
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'