[news.software.b] Using a DBMS for administration

rog@ingres.com (Roger Taranto) (04/02/91)

Out of curiosity, has anyone looked into using a DBMS as a
replacement for the history and active files?  Expiration
would be trivial -- just send the database a query specifying
what you want expired and when, it should be able to give you
back a list of filenames to delete.  Also, things like author,
references, etc could be stored with each history entry.

If someone was really ambitious, they could even work on store
entire articles in a database.

I would use INGRES if I were to do such a thing, but then I
have an obvious bias.  Has anyone worked on any of this?

-Roger
{mtxinu,pacbell,amdahl,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!rog		rog@ingres.com

In article <1991Apr2.063022.13017@ingres.Ingres.COM> rog@Ingres.COM (Roger Taranto) writes:
>Out of curiosity, has anyone looked into using a DBMS as a
>replacement for the history and active files? ...

Well, they *are* a database of sorts, albeit a rather specialized one...

I don't know that anyone has seriously experimented with using a general-
purpose database system to store news.  Its characteristics are rather
different from the more stereotyped applications of such things.

>... Also, things like author,
>references, etc could be stored with each history entry.

The original B2.11 effort, stillborn long before the version now known
by that name came out, envisioned things along those lines.  Some of the
auxiliary databases used by readers like nn already do it.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry