[news.software.b] how to handle an error in Cnews

yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) (04/04/91)

   I receive this type of error now and then and instead of
not doing anything about it, I'd like to be knowledgeable
about it.

errlog.o
---------
relaynews: control `: cancel <1991Mar15.005300.23869@eng.umd.edu>' looks unsafe to
 execute
---------

recent bad input batches:
bad/670153263

--
Yale Rosenblatt
Electronics for Imaging

In article <1991Apr3.174739.25568@efi.com> yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) writes:
>   I receive this type of error now and then and instead of
>not doing anything about it, I'd like to be knowledgeable
>about it.
>
>errlog.o
>---------
>relaynews: control `: cancel <1991Mar15.005300.23869@eng.umd.edu>' looks unsafe to
> execute
>---------

Actually, the right thing to do about it is nothing.  Somebody sent out
a control message that relaynews didn't like the looks of, and that is
almost invariably their problem, not yours.

In this case, the extra colon on the front prevented relaynews from
recognizing it as a cancel (the handling of which is built in), and
when relaynews considered the possibility of running it as a shell
command with a suitable search path (which is how most of the rest
of the control messages are processed), it saw the "<" and ">",
said "this contains shell metacharacters and could be dangerous", and
decided not to try.

No further action is needed or desirable.

>recent bad input batches:
>bad/670153263

This is a buglet in the software; an invalid control message should
not be causing the batch to be marked bad.  This will be fixed.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry