[news.software.b] Problem with posting mailed articles

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (04/12/91)

I'm trying to gateway a mailing list into a newsgroup, and am having a
few problems.  Every once in a while an article comes along that inews
doesn't want to post.  Originally I got this error:

    [volumous output of 'who am i'; summary: not attched to terminal]
    anne.jones: ypmatch: not found
    inews: article in /tmp/dead.article

I thought that the ypmatch (whatever that is; it certainly isn't
anywhere on my SCO Xenix system  :-() was the problem.  So I created a
.name file with a space in it in the home directory of the program
that was doing the posting.  That got rid of the ypmatch problem, but
inews still tells the that the article is in /tmp/dead.article (and I
still have the 'who' problem).

This is the article header, as it is fed to inews (with the -h option,
of course):

    Newsgroups: list.coherent
    Newsgroups: list.coherent
    Date: 11 Apr 91 17:39:21 EDT
    From: 73207.1247@CompuServe.COM (Stephane Doucet)
    Subject: Coherent and smail
    Sender: news@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca

So, does anybody have any suggestions?

cjs
--
curt@cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/13/91)

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) writes:

>     [volumous output of 'who am i'; summary: not attched to terminal]
>     anne.jones: ypmatch: not found
>     inews: article in /tmp/dead.article

Poor Anne Jones is having difficulty figuring out who you are.  It's
nearly impossible to figure out your login name in a portable manner.
Anne tries, but fails, mainly because the Xenix who am i < /dev/null
doesn't bother to try getpwuid(getuid()).  Simple fix, just put the
line LOGNAME=usenet export LOGNAME at the top of whatever script is
delivering the stuff to inews.  There are more elegant solutions
to this kind of problem though.  Some people's (like mine :-) tend to use
perl, but such solutions must be shoved under a bushel when Henry S is
anywhere in sight :-)
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)