[news.software.b] Header stripper

blarson@blars (04/15/91)

In article <10715@rls.UUCP> randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) writes:
>In article <1621@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>> randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) writes:
>>> *    Easily achieved because the first line of a mail or news
>>> *    header must begin with "Path:" and the last line of the
>>> *    header must be a blank line.
>>
>> This is incorrect. There is no "Path:" header defined for RFC822 mail,
>> and if one is present, there's no guarantee that it will be the first
>> header. The "Path:" header must be present in news articles, but again
>> there is no guarantee that it will be the first header, although all
>> existing news transports that I'm aware of will place it there.

C news usually (but not always) puts the Xref: header first if there is
one.  The Path: header usually follows.  (There is no RFC specifying
header order, and C news will put the headers in a different order if
a buffer fills before all headers have been read.)

>Quite right.  See my follow up posting with corrections.  I didn't read
>the RFC's for this information.  I simply looked at the actual headers of
>news and mail.

And guessed the rest of the world followed what you saw on one system.

>Mail consistantly has "From " on the first line

When using uucp style mail boxes, common (but not the only thing) on
unix systems and rare elsewhere.

>and news has "Path:" on the first line, both in the first 5 characters.

I think this is the case with B news.

>  My guess
>is the RFC's somewhere define this.

Nope.

--
blarson@usc.edu
		C news and rn for os9/68k!

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/15/91)

[In article <188@blars>,
     blarson@blars writes ... ]

> In article <10715@rls.UUCP> randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) writes:
>>My guess
>>is the RFC's somewhere define this.
>
> Nope.

If you want a copy of the relevant RFCs, you can send mail to
info-server@sh.cs.net with the following lines:

Request: RFC
Topic:   RFC850
Topic:   RFC1036
Topic:   RFC822
Request: End

It helps to have a dependable address -- there's never a guarantee with
``.UUCP.''

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org