[news.software.b] Cnews on SCO Unix

robert@lunatix.uucp (Robert Sexton) (03/27/91)

I anybody running cnews successfully on SCO UNIX.  when I get it
compiled, it has really terrible problems with holes in history.pag,
which implies problems with dbz.  It's either that or problems with
/usr/lib/news/explist  Thanks much.

--
Robert Sexton,  Lexington Public Access Unix  (lunatix)
		Brought to you by: Two Squids UNIX(tm) Support.

In article <1991Mar26.231914.26740@lunatix.uucp> robert@lunatix.uucp (Robert Sexton) writes:
>I anybody running cnews successfully on SCO UNIX.  when I get it
>compiled, it has really terrible problems with holes in history.pag,
>which implies problems with dbz...

Does dbz pass its regression test ("make r" in the dbz directory)?

Did you compile dbz with -O?  Known compiler bug; see notebook/problems.

What do you mean by "terrible problems"?  History.pag *does* often
have holes in it; that is not cause for alarm.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar26.231914.26740@lunatix.uucp> robert@lunatix.uucp (Robert Sexton) writes:
>I anybody running cnews successfully on SCO UNIX.  when I get it
>compiled, it has really terrible problems with holes in history.pag,
>which implies problems with dbz...

I've been up and running since January under Cnews and SCO Unix.  There's a
trick to it, though; you probably don't want to compile Cnews with
Microsoft C (cc).  Try using AT&T's compiler (rcc) and you'll have much
better luck.  You'll have better luck still using a version of gcc 1.39
that's been patched for #pragma pack.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

fields-doug@cs.yale.edu (Doug Fields) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr02.032343.4830@xstor.com> iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) writes:
>I've been up and running since January under Cnews and SCO Unix.  There's a
>trick to it, though; you probably don't want to compile Cnews with
>Microsoft C (cc).  Try using AT&T's compiler (rcc) and you'll have much
>better luck.  You'll have better luck still using a version of gcc 1.39
>that's been patched for #pragma pack.

I haven't had any problems with the CC on SCO Unix 3.2.2 and the devsys.
However, with GNU EMACS, I had to use rcc -E for my C preprocessor to get
it to "preprocess" it's makefile.

About this "history.pag" file. Mine is beginning to get excessively large.
It's around one meg right now. How do I get it smaller. What is it? Can I
delete it?

Doug
--
Doug Fields -POB 1789 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520- (FAX) +1 203 661-2996
Internet: fields-doug@cs.yale.edu <-- Best to reach me. Voice: +1 203 436-0184

In article <29856@cs.yale.edu> fields-doug@cs.yale.edu (Doug Fields) writes:
>About this "history.pag" file. Mine is beginning to get excessively large.
>It's around one meg right now. How do I get it smaller. What is it? Can I
>delete it?

It's an index into the history file.  You cannot make it smaller except
by keeping less history.  You cannot get rid of it.  If you are using
our dbz library -- you should be! -- then it is a small fraction of the
size of the history file itself, and should not be that much of an
additional space worry.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jim@shograf.com (jim morris) (04/07/91)

From article <29856@cs.yale.edu>, by fields-doug@cs.yale.edu (Doug Fields):
> About this "history.pag" file. Mine is beginning to get excessively large.
> It's around one meg right now. How do I get it smaller. What is it? Can I
> delete it?
>
> Doug
I think there is a bug introduced by compiling the dbz package with -O
that causes the .pag file to look a lot bigger than it is. Mine appeared
to be 300Mb!!! but df showed that it wasn't really, cause I still had
disk space. Anyway deleting the history files, re-compiling dbz WITHOUT
-O, re-linking C-News, then rebuilding the history files fixed it.
Now it is a reasonable 256kb or thereabouts.

Of course this is using cc, I haven't tried rcc or gcc.

Jim

--
Jim Morris,	E-Mail: jim@shograf.com    Voice: (415) 903-3887
  _

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/07/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> In article <29856@cs.yale.edu> fields-doug@cs.yale.edu (Doug Fields) writes:
> >About this "history.pag" file. Mine is beginning to get excessively large.

> You cannot get rid of it.  If you are using
> our dbz library -- you should be! -- then it is a small fraction of the
> size of the history file itself, and should not be that much of an
> additional space worry.

If he's used Microsoft 386 cc to compile dbz.c with -O, one symptom of
the fact that the regression test would fail is that the history.pag
file seems to grow without bound.  Perhaps that's the problem?
If so, then "Doug, why aren't you using gcc? :-)"

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

ken@hertz.njit.edu (ken ng cccc) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr06.205324.13366@shograf.com> jim@shograf.com (jim morris) writes:
:I think there is a bug introduced by compiling the dbz package with -O
:that causes the .pag file to look a lot bigger than it is. Mine appeared
:to be 300Mb!!! but df showed that it wasn't really, cause I still had
:disk space. Anyway deleting the history files, re-compiling dbz WITHOUT
:-O, re-linking C-News, then rebuilding the history files fixed it.
:Now it is a reasonable 256kb or thereabouts.

I ran into a very similar bug running SCO Xenix.  It was interesting seeing
a 400 meg file on a 200 meg disk :-).  If your in doubt do a 'make r' in the
dbz directory.  If it takes more than 12 hours to get done and you have a
reasonable box, then you have to take the '-O' off the makefile line.  I
ran this on a 25 Mhz 386 and it got done in under an hour (I forgot how
much under).   Another couple of hints that something was wrong was that
it took forever to add articles, and the expire would not run correctly.