[news.software.b] C news history.pag gives fsck heartburn

jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard) (04/17/91)

Environment: NCR Tower XP, System Vr2 version 3.02.01.

Running fsck on the partition with /usr/lib/news on it results in a
"POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR" complaint. Is this a bug in my fsck or in
dbz, and is it a real problem or merely a nuisance?
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (04/17/91)

jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
>Environment: NCR Tower XP, System Vr2 version 3.02.01.

>Running fsck on the partition with /usr/lib/news on it results in a
>"POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR" complaint. Is this a bug in my fsck or in
>dbz, and is it a real problem or merely a nuisance?

 Your fsck (and, in my experience, at least one other SVR2 fsck) is being
confused by the fact that dbz files are "holey", i.e. they contain blocks in
the middle that have never been written to.  The fsck is presumably comparing
the listed size in the inode to the number of blocks allocated to that inode
and finding a "possible file size error".  It isn't a problem at all; as I
recall, fsck doesn't actually *do* anything to the file, just note a possible
error.  It's just a minor nuisance; learn to expect one POSSIBLE FILE SIZE
ERROR complaint per dbm file.  Don't worry about it.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp