[news.software.b] Sys file: sending GenBank stuff to gbupdate?

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) (04/24/91)

     I am trying to update the GenBank DNA database using the nightly
collection of new entries sent out in bionet.molbio.genbank.updates.  The
software to do this comes from New York University and is (I think) Sun-
specific, or at least definitely for BSD or some mutant thereof.  I'm
running SysVr3.2 (Interactive) and my attempts to port the updating software
haven't gotten any output yet.

    The problem may be in the changes to the code, but it may also be some
simple and obvious thing I'm doing wrong in trying to feed the update articles
to the gbupdate program via the C news sys file.  The only installation advice
that comes with the gbupdate program is to put

    gbupdate:bionet.molbio.genbank.updates:B:/usr/db/UPDATES/gbupdate -l

in either B news or C news's sys file and to make the executable gbupdate pro-
gram setuid (chmod 4755).  The executable is in fact installed in /usr/db/
UPDATES but first of all I don't recognize the B flag (it isn't mentioned in
the discussion of the sys file in C news's news(5) man page; and also I wonder
if making this sys file entry is *really* all I must do to feed articles to an
unusual delivery program.

    Can anyone please give me some hints about what I must do to send news
articles to strange places on the system?  I'm pretty ignorant about all the
outgoing side of C news -- I'm a leaf node and at present the only outgoing
stuff I try to do is to send the postings generated here back to my news
host.  (That works fine -- or anyway, it's working if anyone sees this post!)

                                               Thanks very much
                                               James P. H. Fuller
                                               jim%crom2@nstar.rn.com

In article <1991Apr24.031150.4828@crom2.uucp> jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>    gbupdate:bionet.molbio.genbank.updates:B:/usr/db/UPDATES/gbupdate -l

The B flag is archaic but harmless.  However, this line has a serious flaw
in it from C News's viewpoint:  articles will be sent to that program only
if they have newsgroup "bionet.molbio.genbank.updates" *and* distribution
"bionet.molbio.genbank.updates".  The former is probable, the latter is not.
Changing the second field to "bionet.molbio.genbank.updates/all" will do
the job.

>... and also I wonder if
>making this sys file entry is *really* all I must do to feed articles to an
>unusual delivery program.

Aside from the above issue, yes.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

I wrote:
>>    gbupdate:bionet.molbio.genbank.updates:B:/usr/db/UPDATES/gbupdate -l
>
>The B flag is archaic but harmless...

I should have been more precise.  The B flag is in fact the default and
does nothing, so it is harmless but useless.  I believe this has been the
case in every news system for nearly a decade now.

(The opposite of the B flag is the A flag, which specifies compatibility
with A News; C News will react to the A flag by telling you it isn't
supported any more.)