[news.software.b] C News Expire problem solved <sheesh>

kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) (04/24/91)

After tearing my hair out for a week or more with expire failures, and
(no doubt) frustrating the hell out of Henry, the cause of the problem
was found.

[sheepish grin mode on]

I also had problems with trn displaying newsnews at every invocation, and
had mentioned it in passing. Two replies were received which simply said
"Your system is in 1990."

sheesh.

I don't know how it GOT that way - the CMOS clock was correct - but once
that error was confirmed, it was clear that expire was working correctly,
using 1990 as a starting point :-(

It's fixed - a simple reboot was all that was needed.

Thanks to everyone, especially Henry, for all the advice.

--
Public Access UUCP/UseNet (Waffle/XENIX 1.64) | kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca|
    TB+: 604-753-9960  2400: 604-754-9964     | ..van-bc!oneb!kmcvay    |

In article <1991Apr24.160911.203@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca> kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) writes:
>I don't know how it GOT that way - the CMOS clock was correct - but once
>that error was confirmed, it was clear that expire was working correctly,
>using 1990 as a starting point :-(

Hmm.  Programs that depend on the current time ought to be at least a little
bit cautious.  I'll add a couple of lines to expire to watch for this.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry