[news.software.b] error from Cnews Expire

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/27/91)

I'm getting the following error each day from Cnews "doexpire" on
an Esix (SYSVR3) system.  I've "find"ed through the entire news spool,
and haven't been able to find an article with that string in it.  I also
searched for that number "6579", and found an article ... but it didn't
have that string in it.  Just in case, I deleted that article, but to
no avail.

Any ideas where this is coming from?  I am also finding some pretty old
articles in the news spool, so I think this error is causing expire to
not finish properly.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

message from expire:

 From root Fri Apr 26 18:25 EDT 1991
 expire problems:
 expire: wrong number of fields in `<UbBvXFy00Uh7E0kCYd@andrew.cmu.edu>	6579...'

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

In article <1991Apr27.015343.18772@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>I'm getting the following error each day from Cnews "doexpire" on
>an Esix (SYSVR3) system.  I've "find"ed through the entire news spool,
>and haven't been able to find an article with that string in it...

This is a bad line in the history file, not in an article.  Expire never
looks at articles.  The message is admittedly a bit unclear about this,
but that was fixed some time ago.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry