[news.software.b] Moderated group locally

news@zeus.calpoly.edu (That News Dude) (04/27/91)

This *has* to be a FAQ, but...

I'd like to create a local group, and make it moderated, so only the
sysadmins can post to it. (it's an announce group for the system here).
What's the "correct" way to do this?

C-news, latest version, and NNTP feed from remote site, but all news
stored locally (if this information is needed).

BTW, why is there no news.software.c?

--
++Christopher(news);                       | news@zeus.calpoly.edu

                                           | News Administration Account for
These two strings walk into a bar...       | Cal Poly, SLO, AIX Cluster

In article <1991Apr27.080042.196976@zeus.calpoly.edu> news@zeus.calpoly.edu (That News Dude) writes:
>I'd like to create a local group, and make it moderated, so only the
>sysadmins can post to it. (it's an announce group for the system here).
>What's the "correct" way to do this?  [in C News]

	NEWSBIN/maint/addgroup my.moderated.group m

Followed by editing NEWSCTL/mailpaths so that attempted postings get
mailed somewhere suitable if they don't have an Approved header in them.
Adding a line like

	my.moderated.group	postmaster

is a reasonable starting point; note that it must go before any "all" line.

Followed by training your sysadmins to put Approved headers in; this
is the hardest part in my experience. :-)

An alternative is to tinker with inews so that the peons aren't allowed
to post to that group at all, but as discussed recently (see the discussion
of "FASCIST" mode), this is easy to evade if a user is determined.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry