[news.software.b] UUCP General distress

dvb@emisle.emisle (David Van Beveren) (05/14/91)

Forgive this posting. I am probably in the wrong newsgroup. Please re-direct
me to the correct group...

I have one news site that runs System V 3.2 (Interactive 2.0.2). The HDB uucp
software has never given me a problem.

Now at another site, the hardware is a Sun 3-50 running SunOS 4.1.1, supposedly
HDB as well, but things are in different directories (/etc/uucp, /var/spool,
et. al.)

This site the Sun3 runs fine in the master mode when calling, and in the
slave mode when receiving, but the vice-versa does not work.

Ex: from the sun I type uucp -r file xxxhub!~ and then run Uutry. This works
    great. When I have someone at xxxhub put a file in /usr/spool/uucppublic,
    I can say uucp -f xxxhub!file !~ and it works great too. However, when
    I say mail joe@xxxhub, then poll the sun from the other machine, the Uutry
    run from the other machine hangs just after role reversal:

cut out from Uutry info:

wmesg 'H'
rmesg - 'H' got HN
 PROCESS: msg - HN
*** TOP ***  -  role=0, setline - X
rmesg - ''

It hangs in this state until it times out. (The ISC machine keeps saying alarm
1 .. alarm 10)

When I know that my news feed has news for me at the sun, and I call it, I get
the same dialog on the sun as I did above on the ISC. Now, this may be
two different problems, but they look similar to me. The sun seems to cause
the problem, hanging right after the role reversal. THis happens, like I said,
whether the sun is the caller or the callee.

Help Please. I am no uucp guru, and would really like to solve this porblem.

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.025542.1939@emisle.uucp> dvb@emisle.emisle (David Van Beveren) writes:

>Forgive this posting. I am probably in the wrong newsgroup. Please re-direct
>me to the correct group...
>
>I have one news site that runs System V 3.2 (Interactive 2.0.2). The HDB uucp
>software has never given me a problem.
>
>Now at another site, the hardware is a Sun 3-50 running SunOS 4.1.1, supposedly
>HDB as well, but things are in different directories (/etc/uucp, /var/spool,
>et. al.)
>
>This site the Sun3 runs fine in the master mode when calling, and in the
>slave mode when receiving, but the vice-versa does not work.
>
>Ex: from the sun I type uucp -r file xxxhub!~ and then run Uutry. This works
>    great. When I have someone at xxxhub put a file in /usr/spool/uucppublic,
>    I can say uucp -f xxxhub!file !~ and it works great too. However, when
                   ^^^^ - sorry, typo should be -r for spooling only