[net.lang.lisp] Incremental Garbage Collection?

roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) (01/28/86)

How is it done?  I understand the basic mark-and-sweep garbage
collection algorithm, but it's not clear how it could be done a
little bit at a time.

Can anyone post a brief summary or at least some pointers to
information so that I may educate myself?
--
Bill Roman	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!roman

Summation, Inc, (formerly Personal Scientific Corporation)
18702 142nd Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072
(206) 486-0991

ehl@cogsci.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Edward H. Lay) (02/01/86)

In article <595@sigma.UUCP> roman@sigma.UUCP () writes:

>How is it done?
>
>Can anyone post a brief summary or at least some pointers to
>information so that I may educate myself?

A good paper to read is:
"A Real-Time Garbage Collector Based on the Lifetimes of Objects"
by Lieberman and Hewitt

it can be found in the June 1983 Vol 26 Number 6 issue of CACM