[news.software.b] C News relaynews problem with NEWSCTL

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (05/11/91)

I recently upgraded my C News from 25-May-1990 to 24-Mar-1991.  All went
well except for relaynews.  Relaynews works fine except for posting
articles.  It then insists:

  relaynews: warning: renouncing setuid due to nonstandard `NEWSCTL'
    in environment
  relaynews: can't create lock temporary `/usr/lib/news/LOCKTM012006'
    (Permission denied)
  /usr/local/lib/news/inews: article in /usr1/co/nash/dead.article

The problem appears to be that relaynews no longer allows symbolic links.
My news is in /usr/local/lib/news, with a symbolic link from /usr/lib/news.
I built C news with NEWSCTL as /usr/lib/news, and everyone is happy but
relaynews when posting.

How do I convince relaynews that NEWSCTL is standard?  Help!

--
Ron Nash 	San Diego State University
Internet:  	nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu

In article <1991May10.173712.14716@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>I recently upgraded my C News from 25-May-1990 to 24-Mar-1991.  All went
>well except for relaynews.  Relaynews works fine except for posting
>articles.  It then insists:
>
>  relaynews: warning: renouncing setuid due to nonstandard `NEWSCTL'

Copy the new config file from the sources/conf directory to NEWSCTL/bin.
The build procedure is too bashful about this, and is declining to overwrite
an existing file, so you've got an old config file which is fouling things up.
That's the probable cause, anyway.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.220712.9660@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991May10.173712.14716@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>>I recently upgraded my C News from 25-May-1990 to 24-Mar-1991.  All went
>>well except for relaynews.  Relaynews works fine except for posting
>>articles.  It then insists:
>>
>>  relaynews: warning: renouncing setuid due to nonstandard `NEWSCTL'
>
>Copy the new config file from the sources/conf directory to NEWSCTL/bin.
>The build procedure is too bashful about this, and is declining to overwrite
>an existing file, so you've got an old config file which is fouling things up.
>That's the probable cause, anyway.

Things are now working fine.  Thanks to all for the responses.  I'm still
a bit puzzled as to why I can no longer point NEWSCTL to a symbolic link
(/usr/lib/news) in config and within build.  Changing NEWSCTL and re-running
build with the full path (/usr/local/lib/news) solved the problem.

Thanks.

--

sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) (05/15/91)

From article <1991May11.220712.9660@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):
> In article <1991May10.173712.14716@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>>I recently upgraded my C News from 25-May-1990 to 24-Mar-1991.  All went
>>well except for relaynews.  Relaynews works fine except for posting
>>articles.  It then insists:
>>
>>  relaynews: warning: renouncing setuid due to nonstandard `NEWSCTL'
>
> Copy the new config file from the sources/conf directory to NEWSCTL/bin.
> The build procedure is too bashful about this, and is declining to overwrite
> an existing file, so you've got an old config file which is fouling things up.
> That's the probable cause, anyway.
> --
> And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> "beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

Why can't build make a list of files like this that it hasn't installed? It's
a real pain to have to install them manually, especially some of the less
obvious ones. It would also be nice to have a build option which would rename
files in newsbin to name.OLD, if they already exist. Keep up the good work.
--
                                         ____   _____     ____    ____
  Shane Youl                            /    \ /       / /    \  /    \

In article <1991May15.032629.20911@dmp.csiro.au> sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) writes:
>> Copy the new config file from the sources/conf directory to NEWSCTL/bin.
>> The build procedure is too bashful about this...
>
>Why can't build make a list of files like this that it hasn't installed? It's
>a real pain to have to install them manually, especially some of the less
>obvious ones. It would also be nice to have a build option which would rename
>files in newsbin to name.OLD, if they already exist...

The list is not a bad idea; the renaming may be awkward to arrange but I'll
think about it.  I'll consider both the next time I get around to revising
the build stuff.

In any case, one thing that has been done and will be in the next patch
(whenever that is) is that the copy of config is no longer conditional.
It's logically part of the programs, not a user-modifiable control file.
--

timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.152535.9711@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991May15.032629.20911@dmp.csiro.au> sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) writes:
>>> Copy the new config file from the sources/conf directory to NEWSCTL/bin.
>>> The build procedure is too bashful about this...
>>
>>Why can't build make a list of files like this that it hasn't installed? It's
>>a real pain to have to install them manually, especially some of the less
>>obvious ones. It would also be nice to have a build option which would rename
>>files in newsbin to name.OLD, if they already exist...
>
>The list is not a bad idea; the renaming may be awkward to arrange but I'll
>think about it.  I'll consider both the next time I get around to revising
>the build stuff.

Alternatively, build could make a script with the list of files that
need to be copied somewhere, and then let the user mod the script
according to where they go. (Maybe create a new script file "doit.manual"
or something.) Build could write something that looks like this
to doit.manual:

cp man1 man1
cp config config
cp <other file> <other file>

The installer then hand modifies doit.manual according to where
these things all go, so the final form would be:

cp man1 /usr/man/8/man1
cp config /usr/local/lib/news/bin/config

All the user has to do is add the directory paths where the files go.

Of course, you'd need a prompt in build to ask if a doit.manual file was
required or not to keep from accidentally overwriting an existing entry.

Tim Kuehn			 TDK Consulting Services  (519)-888-0766
timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca  -or-  !{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!wynnds!timk
Valpo EE turned loose on unsuspecting world! News at 11!
"You take it seriously when someone from a ballistics research lab calls you."
Heard at a Unix user's meeting discussing connectivity issues.