[news.software.b] An infinite number of CNEWS MUST DIE rantings.

witr@rwwa.COM (Robert Withrow) (05/22/91)

In article <q7Ta325w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk rants:

|"Hopefully" isn't good enough. Nobody told me for weeks, if not months.

And frankly, my friend, I wish they hadn't told you.

--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/22/91)

In article <q7Ta325w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk writes:

>"Hopefully" isn't good enough. Nobody told me for weeks, if not months.

Your newsfeed posted a note here claiming he *did* inform you.  From
(Matthew Farwell)

  [ As a bit of background, we are mantis's main feed and we are the site
    that dropped six of their articles ]

  I did tell you.  I have a mail message sitting in my outgoing folder to
  you and 7 other news administrators who we exchange news with to the
  effect that cnews now drops articles which are badly formatted.  Its
  dated April 30th 1991.  Do you want me to resend it to you?

  If you are talking about noone telling you about cnews dropping some of
  your articles, then I also told you about that, within a few hours of me
  seeing the log message.  I sent you back the log entries and told you to
  resend them.  Unfortunately I haven't actually got a copy of that mail
  message but I distinctly remember sending it.  I even have your reply to
  it somewhere.

  >There was no messenger. C News didn't tell me, remember?

  Yes, but I did. I warned you in advance. I told you when your articles had
  been dropped.

He also pointed out that he didn't wish to pay the 500 pounds per year your
solutions would cost.
--
"SPAM is a registered trademark of a pork product
 packed only by Geo. A Hormel & Co. Corp."

) (05/23/91)

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
> In article <q7Ta325w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk writes:
> >"Hopefully" isn't good enough. Nobody told me for weeks, if not months.
>
> Your newsfeed posted a note here claiming he *did* inform you.

Yes. WHEN THEY THEMSELVES INSTALLED C NEWS.

UNTIL OUR FEED SITE HAPPENED TO INSTALL THE LATEST C NEWS, NOBODY TOLD ME.

Now read that again, Einstein.

> He also pointed out that he didn't wish to pay the 500 pounds per year your
> solutions would cost.

Bullshit.

Solution (4) of the list I recently posted (<io49226w164w@mantis.co.uk>,
posted Mon, 20 May 91 16:03:29 BST) would cost ibmpcug no more than the modem
time for sending the error reports.

And as I said when Matthew pointed out that he didn't want to pay, if you
can't afford to send error notifications you shouldn't be so intolerant of
trivial errors.

mathew

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (05/24/91)

In article <NiNe320w164w@mantis.co.uk> CNEWS MUST DIE! <mathew@mantis.co.uk> writes:
>scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>> In article <q7Ta325w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk writes:
>> >"Hopefully" isn't good enough. Nobody told me for weeks, if not months.
>> Your newsfeed posted a note here claiming he *did* inform you.
>Yes. WHEN THEY THEMSELVES INSTALLED C NEWS.
>UNTIL OUR FEED SITE HAPPENED TO INSTALL THE LATEST C NEWS, NOBODY TOLD ME.

This is true.

>> He also pointed out that he didn't wish to pay the 500 pounds per year your
>> solutions would cost.
>Bullshit.

Not quite bullshit.  I pointed out that I wouldn't want to pay the 500
quid or so that *one* of mathew's solutions might end up costing.  He
has now, I believe, agreed that that particular solution would be
unacceptable.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan