[news.software.b] CNEWS MUST DIE!

) (05/17/91)

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:

> Both your upstream feed (ibmpcug) and their upstream feed (specialix.co.uk)
> run CNEWS - if you think that it must go then go find a bnews feed.

...and get my articles thrown away by machines in the US?  Such as, say,
UUNET?  (Are they running the 'upgraded' C News yet?)

> Some people - give them some free software that has taken a lot of man
> hours to write and is a major performance improvment over the prior
> version and all they do is bitch about it.

The old C News delivered all the articles it could. The new one throws lots
away unnecessarily.  In what way is that a "performance improvement"?

mathew

In article <Tii426w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>The old C News delivered all the articles it could. The new one throws lots
>away unnecessarily.  In what way is that a "performance improvement"?

As I said before:  fewer screams from your victims.  The old C News did
indeed deliver all the articles it could, including a good many that
caused cardiac arrest or twitching convulsions in other news systems.
After a certain amount of jumping up and down by the proprietors of
such systems -- including, as I recall, UUNET -- we somewhat reluctantly
decided that being good citizens of the network required tightening up
standards conformance somewhat.  (There are limits to how far we can be
moved by those screams.  In particular, if it's a legal RFC1036 article
causing the problems, our attitude tends to be "gee, that's too bad,
why don't you fix your software?".)
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (05/18/91)

In article <Tii426w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
>> Some people - give them some free software that has taken a lot of man
>> hours to write and is a major performance improvment over the prior
>> version and all they do is bitch about it.
>
>The old C News delivered all the articles it could. The new one throws lots
>away unnecessarily.  In what way is that a "performance improvement"?

Well, if you must ask stupid questions.....you get....well you know.

It doesn't waste the rest of the net's time trying to deal with
malformed articles.  Saves lots of time IMO.  Big performance
improvement ;-).

--Bill

) (05/20/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <Tii426w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) w
> >The old C News delivered all the articles it could. The new one throws lots
> >away unnecessarily.  In what way is that a "performance improvement"?
>
> As I said before:  fewer screams from your victims.  The old C News did
> indeed deliver all the articles it could, including a good many that
> caused cardiac arrest or twitching convulsions in other news systems.

If a system falls over because of errors in its input, then that system
should be fixed. C News should not Nanny it.

> After a certain amount of jumping up and down by the proprietors of
> such systems -- including, as I recall, UUNET -- we somewhat reluctantly
> decided that being good citizens of the network required tightening up
> standards conformance somewhat.

Right. It is entirely correct that *C News* should allow posting only of
conformant articles. It is *not* correct to make it throw away non-conforming
articles posted from other systems, especially if it does not tell them about
it.

>                                  (There are limits to how far we can be
> moved by those screams.  In particular, if it's a legal RFC1036 article
> causing the problems, our attitude tends to be "gee, that's too bad,
> why don't you fix your software?".)

I'll say it again. If *any* program falls over unsafely as a result of *any*
sort of bad input, then that program is *faulty* and should be fixed.

Yes, even if you're doing something mindbogglingly stupid like piping binary
bitmap files into relaynews, it should still fail gracefully.

If the input to relaynews is *really* unparseable (lacking *essential*
information and containing *uncorrectable* errors) then it is reasonable to
drop the input. The sorts of errors C News drops articles for are neither
uncorrectable, nor are they errors which cause the article to lack essential
information.

mathew

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) (05/21/91)

It's a good thing Cnews isn't for sale.

-- Ben Cox
   ben@wri.com

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/21/91)

mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
>If a system falls over because of errors in its input, then that system
>should be fixed.

 Right ... but CNews doesn't have that problem. It does *exactly* what
the code intends it to do. You can throw anything at it, and it will
react accordingly, and not "blow up". It dropping articles that have
illegal headers is *NOT* a case of the system "falling over"; rather
it's policing exactly what it's intended to.

>Right. It is entirely correct that *C News* should allow posting only of
>conformant articles. It is *not* correct to make it throw away non-conforming
>articles posted from other systems, especially if it does not tell them about
>it.
> [...]
>I'll say it again. If *any* program falls over unsafely as a result of *any*
>sort of bad input, then that program is *faulty* and should be fixed.

 But if a good number of those articles get dropped, the sysadmin at
the receiving site will notice and (hopefully) tell the other site of
the problem.

>If the input to relaynews is *really* unparseable (lacking *essential*
>information and containing *uncorrectable* errors) then it is reasonable to
>drop the input. The sorts of errors C News drops articles for are neither
>uncorrectable, nor are they errors which cause the article to lack essential
>information.

 They are correctable only when the system can attempt to make an
'educated' guess -- but what if it's wrong?
 To use that argument is to say that sending mail to foo!bar.com is
LEGAL under RFC822 because sendmail should be "intelligent" enough to
replace the ! with a @, since the local site's not connected to a
system called foo, and therefore it's a typo. Right? Wrong.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

kucharsk@solbourne.com (William Kucharski) (05/21/91)

In article <gi69231w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
 >henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
 >If the input to relaynews is *really* unparseable (lacking *essential*
 >information and containing *uncorrectable* errors) then it is reasonable to
 >drop the input. The sorts of errors C News drops articles for are neither
 >uncorrectable, nor are they errors which cause the article to lack essential
 >information.

Well, hell then, let's just throw out all protocol specs and allow things which
are "close enough."  This is a rather rash statement, but when there is a
published document stating how things _should_ be, why should that software
then have to correct information not in that format to conform to the published
one? Yes, it's great for compatibility purposes, but there's a certain point
when you have to stop being backwards compatible and take the leap forwards.
It kind of strikes me as the whole war that some Mac developers have waged in
the past.  Yes, they'll do really nifty things on the Mac but they'll do things
that _Inside Macintosh_ told them not to do, and when a new System comes out
and their app breaks, they're surprised.  The RFC's been around for a few
years; software should have been changed to follow it by now.

As far as mailing the originator in case of an article with a bad header, try
this experiment:  Send out a sendsys message.  Note the number of replies you
get.  Now multiply this by the number of news articles which may get sent in
a given day before you fix your software.  Do you have that kind of mail spool
space?  I know my system doesn't...
--

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (05/21/91)

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:

> It's a good thing Cnews isn't for sale.

Heck.  I'm willing to donate $25 bucks just because I appreciate folk trying to
constructively achieve and propagate standards conformance.

Be liberal in what you accept sounds nice, but in a hetrogenous world it is the
path to chaos.
--
randy@psg.com  ..!uunet!m2xenix!randy

) (05/21/91)

kucharsk@solbourne.com (William Kucharski) writes:
> Well, hell then, let's just throw out all protocol specs and allow things whi
> are "close enough."  This is a rather rash statement, but when there is a
> published document stating how things _should_ be, why should that software
> then have to correct information not in that format to conform to the publish
> one?

Because errors happen.

People make mistakes. People edit news headers. Therefore there will always
be news headers which contain errors.

Punishing people for making errors is not productive.

> It kind of strikes me as the whole war that some Mac developers have waged in
> the past.  Yes, they'll do really nifty things on the Mac but they'll do thin
> that _Inside Macintosh_ told them not to do, and when a new System comes out
> and their app breaks, they're surprised.

But at least they get told about it.

I'm not asking to be allowed to continue sending out bad headers. I'm asking
to be told when I do send out bad headers, so that I can fix the problem (if
it is a problem). I'm asking that correctable errors be corrected, so that
the human beings who post news articles do not have to go through the headers
which they have just edited, character by character, making sure that there is
not a mistake.

>                                            The RFC's been around for a few
> years; software should have been changed to follow it by now.

Why?  Software doesn't change by magic. You have to tell people when they're
doing something wrong. They might not know. For all I know, the fact that my
news program missed the "," out of the date might have been a typo by the
author.

mathew

) (05/21/91)

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
> >If a system falls over because of errors in its input, then that system
> >should be fixed.
>
>  Right ... but CNews doesn't have that problem. It does *exactly* what
> the code intends it to do. You can throw anything at it, and it will
> react accordingly, and not "blow up".

I know that. However, one of the justifications given for C News's antisocial
behaviour is that there are other programs which "blow up" on bad input.

I am saying that those other programs should be fixed; C News should not be
made to try and eliminate bad headers in order to nanny the faulty programs.

>  But if a good number of those articles get dropped, the sysadmin at
> the receiving site will notice and (hopefully) tell the other site of
> the problem.                        ^^^^^^^^^

"Hopefully" isn't good enough. Nobody told me for weeks, if not months.

> >                The sorts of errors C News drops articles for are neither
> >uncorrectable, nor are they errors which cause the article to lack essential
> >information.
>
>  They are correctable only when the system can attempt to make an
> 'educated' guess -- but what if it's wrong?

So what if a Date: header is wrong by up to a few days?

>  To use that argument is to say that sending mail to foo!bar.com is
> LEGAL under RFC822 because sendmail should be "intelligent" enough to
> replace the ! with a @, since the local site's not connected to a
> system called foo, and therefore it's a typo. Right? Wrong.

In that case, I would say that sendmail should tell the user about his
mistake. It does, does it not?

Whereas C News doesn't. Which is wrong.

mathew

mrm@sceard.Sceard.COM (M.R.Murphy) (05/21/91)

In article <gi69231w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
[...]
>I'll say it again. If *any* program falls over unsafely as a result of *any*
>sort of bad input, then that program is *faulty* and should be fixed.

Were C News to fail by sending a message to the poster of a non-compliant
article, that would be an unsafe failure. Consider the case in which the
posting site is connected to a C News site. One site, one message, peachy.
If the offending site is connected to a site that doesn't force compliance
and that site to a C News site, one message, peachy. The problem arises in
a multiply connected net of mixed force-compliance and non-force-compliance
sites using a flood algorithm for news propagation, and more than one posting
from the non-compliant site. (Which is what we have). Many messages, big burden
on sites adjacent to offending site, not so peachy. What C News does is called
"The Lesser of Two Evils."

BTW, CNEWS MUST DIE!, have you gotten the hint yet that your news software
might be putting out ever so slightly idiosyncratic format headers? If I
were burdened with the messages complaining about your news non-compliance,
I'd be irritated and cut you off. Oh, nuts, I probably wouldn't. I'd probably
call on the phone and ask what I could do to help.
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Sceard.COM  ucsd!sceard!mrm  +1 619 598 5874

In article <gi69231w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>If a system falls over because of errors in its input, then that system
>should be fixed. C News should not Nanny it.

On the whole, we agree; it is not our job to save people from the flaws
of their broken software.  However, there is such a thing as being a
responsible citizen even when it is not compulsory, especially bearing
in mind that many people on the net are not in a position to fix their
own software and may have trouble getting fixes out of the authors.

Articles that do not conform to the relevant standards have been living
on borrowed time; there has never been any guarantee that they would be
relayed reliably.  We regret the pain being caused by the transition to
closer conformance, but still think it was a reasonable thing to do.

>If the input to relaynews is *really* unparseable (lacking *essential*
>information and containing *uncorrectable* errors...

Once and for all:  we have seen too much grief caused by misguided attempts
to "correct" mistakes in headers to ever engage in this practice ourselves.
The possibilities for nasty side effects are simply too great.  We aren't
going to do it.  The subject is closed.
--

cathyf@lost.rice.edu (Catherine Anne Foulston) (05/22/91)

In article <ben.674771706@dragonfly.wri.com> ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:
>It's a good thing Cnews isn't for sale.

Yup, because then we'd have to pay for it - and we _would_ pay if I had
anything to say about it.

	Cathy
--
Cathy Foulston + cathyf@rice.edu + Rice University, Network & Systems Support

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) (05/22/91)

cathyf@lost.rice.edu (Catherine Anne Foulston) writes:
>Yup, because then we'd have to pay for it - and we _would_ pay if I had
>anything to say about it.

Bet you wouldn't pay for it if all your questions were answered like this:

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>Please read news(5) instead of trying to wing it.

This does not display a very good attitude on the part of the authors of
cnews.  If you're sick of answering dumb questions, Henry, just hit "U".

If you write software and pretend to support it (and your presence in this
newsgroup indicates that you are at least *pretending* to support it),
you're gonna have to put up with stupid questions, and answer them either
with a smile on your face or not at all.

-- Ben Cox
   ben@wri.com

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/22/91)

In article <ben.674851460@dragonfly.wri.com> ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:

   ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:
   >It's a good thing Cnews isn't for sale.

   cathyf@lost.rice.edu (Catherine Anne Foulston) writes:
   >Yup, because then we'd have to pay for it - and we _would_ pay if I had
   >anything to say about it.

   Bet you wouldn't pay for it if all your questions were answered like this:

I'm sure that if Wolfram Research, Inc. (makers of Mathematica by the
way) were to engage in a support contract with some reasonable company
providing support for C News, they would get answers which would be to
their liking.  The cost for it would be right up there with (say) a
support contract for Mathematica, $xxx or $xxxx/year, but it would get
you polite, reasoned answers.  Perhaps not from the authors of the
software, of course, but from some competent and knowlegable people.

The C News folks might even be able to put out nice full-color glossy
books to go along with it...

--Ed

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/22/91)

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:

>If you write software and pretend to support it (and your presence in this
>newsgroup indicates that you are at least *pretending* to support it),
>you're gonna have to put up with stupid questions, and answer them either
>with a smile on your face or not at all.

Easily disproved by showing counterexamples.  See news.software.b.
--
"SPAM is a registered trademark of a pork product
 packed only by Geo. A Hormel & Co. Corp."

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (05/22/91)

ben@wri.com writes:
   you're gonna have to put up with stupid questions

Why?

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) (05/22/91)

In <EMV.91May21164554@crane.aa.ox.com> emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

>I'm sure that if Wolfram Research, Inc. (makers of Mathematica by the
>way) were to engage in a support contract with some reasonable company
>providing support for C News, they would get answers which would be to
>their liking.  The cost for it would be right up there with (say) a
>support contract for Mathematica, $xxx or $xxxx/year, but it would get
>you polite, reasoned answers.  Perhaps not from the authors of the
>software, of course, but from some competent and knowlegable people.

>The C News folks might even be able to put out nice full-color glossy
>books to go along with it...

I'm sure that was an attempt at a "cheap shot", but as a matter of fact,
you demonstrate my point.  Since we _do_ sell our software, we _do_
provide support for it -- and you _do_ get polite, reasoned answers.

You should know better than to take my opinions as those of my employer.

-- Ben Cox
   ben@wri.com

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.163432.9609@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Once and for all:  we have seen too much grief caused by misguided attempts
>to "correct" mistakes in headers to ever engage in this practice ourselves.
>The possibilities for nasty side effects are simply too great.  We aren't
>going to do it.  The subject is closed.

Case in point: the way B-news handles postings to moderated groups where the
machine doesn't have the newsgroup moderated: the article will traverse
news as normal, until it hits sites that do, and they automatically mail a copy
to the moderator.  More than one moderator has gotten swamped by hundreds
(if not thousands) of copies of an article.

Mailing back error messages about bad headers to the originator would be infinitely
worse.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

geoff@world.std.com (Geoff Collyer) (05/22/91)

Ben Cox:
>This does not display a very good attitude on the part of the authors of
>cnews.  If you're sick of answering dumb questions, Henry, just hit "U".
>
>If you write software and pretend to support it (and your presence in this
>newsgroup indicates that you are at least *pretending* to support it),
>you're gonna have to put up with stupid questions, and answer them either
>with a smile on your face or not at all.

What twaddle!  We don't have to do any such thing.  Where do you get
these strange ideas?

This ridiculous attitude is why I post answers much less often than Henry
does:  people should not get the idea that I am ``supporting'' C News in
this newsgroup.  I occasionally answer a question about software that I
wrote, but usually only when the answer isn't in our documention yet.

I think Henry is far too generous with his time in posting answers to
almost every bleeding question in this newsgroup.  I've been known to
post answers consisting of "See Page XXX in Managing UUCP & Usenet by
O'Reilly and Associates" and I think that's the right answer most of the
time.  There are very few questions in this group that couldn't be
answered by reading the documentation for a few minutes.

We're programmers, not front-line support people, and we should not be
wasting our time answering questions from ingrates who refuse to read the
documentation.  Even UUNET, who are in the business of supporting people
who may know nothing about news, insists that people read Managing UUCP &
Usenet *before* they call with questions.
--
Geoff Collyer		world.std.com!geoff, uunet.uu.net!geoff

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (05/22/91)

In article <4iTa324w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>I'm asking that correctable errors be corrected, so that
>the human beings who post news articles do not have to go through the headers
>which they have just edited, character by character, making sure that there is
>not a mistake.

	I take it you don't program.  When you write software, or use
	other's software to post your perls to a world wide audience,
	you had BETTER make sure there is not a mistake.  Specially when
	you are messing with something like headers.  Or do you blame
	the auto manufacture when his car dies because you played around
	with the F.I. system?

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/22/91)

mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
>>  To use that argument is to say that sending mail to foo!bar.com is
>> LEGAL under RFC822 because sendmail should be "intelligent" enough to
>> replace the ! with a @, since the local site's not connected to a
>> system called foo, and therefore it's a typo. Right? Wrong.
>
>In that case, I would say that sendmail should tell the user about his
>mistake. It does, does it not?

  And, as Eliot Lear discovered recently, if the mistake happens on a
  large scale, it can completely overwhelm a system.  Imagine this:
  three UUCP sites, hub, midwife, and node.  The user at node has
  broken software, and passes up bogus headers; midwife hasn't updated
  in a while, so she just passes it right along to the hub. The hub
  *has* updated its software, and, if implementing your idea, would
  send back a mail message for any articles coming from midwife (and
  subsequently node) that had bad headers.  Fine if node only sends
  through a few articles per hour, say.  But then comes along a fourth
  system, unixbox.  Unixbox has a few hundred users (say a small
  company), and gets a Telebit feed from node. The link now looks
  like:

	hub <-> midwife <-> node <-> unixbox

  Say one hundred of those users post articles in an hour; they get
  batched up. (The people at this company don't do much work.)  Since
  unixbox polls node once an hour, it sends them all on the next call.
  The articles work their way up to hub, where it screams and spits
  back one mail message for EACH article.  Assuming that there aren't
  other paths to unixbox (or aren't any cheaper paths, at least), that
  mail all goes right back down the pipe through midwife and node to
  unixbox.

  Why should midwife and node have to deal with spooling and sending
  100 mail messages? And spooling a new message for each and every
  article is unfair overhead on hub, which probably has a few other
  feeds going at the same time. What if each user posted more than one
  article, all of which were bad?

  Anyway, the point is that there *does* need to be a better way than
  just dropping them on the floor---but user notification probably
  wouldn't be the best way.

Brendan
--

geoff@world.std.com wrote:
>I think Henry is far too generous with his time in posting answers to
>almost every bleeding question in this newsgroup.  I've been known to
>post answers consisting of "See Page XXX in Managing UUCP & Usenet by
>O'Reilly and Associates" and I think that's the right answer most of the
>time.  There are very few questions in this group that couldn't be
>answered by reading the documentation for a few minutes.

  Hmm, I wonder...has Nutshell considered adding a chapter on building
  CNews?

--

In article <4!Y+P8.@cs.widener.edu> brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>>...answers consisting of "See Page XXX in Managing UUCP & Usenet by
>>O'Reilly and Associates" ...
>
>  Hmm, I wonder...has Nutshell considered adding a chapter on building
>  CNews?

The current edition in fact does include modest coverage of C News, which
is one reason why we mention it in our bibliography.  It's not the answer
to everyone's prayers, yet, but it is useful.
--

ambar@ora.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (05/23/91)

   From: brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe)
   Date: 22 May 91 13:35:42 GMT

   Hmm, I wonder... has Nutshell considered adding a chapter on building
   CNews?

It's already there in the current edition.  The next edition, which
should see print in the fall, will cover NNTP as well.

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.com						uunet!ora!ambar
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140; 617-354-5800
Book Orders => 632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
               800-DEV-NUTS (that's 800-338-6887) FAX 707-829-0104

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) (05/23/91)

In <4!Y+P8.@cs.widener.edu> brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

>  Hmm, I wonder...has Nutshell considered adding a chapter on building
>  CNews?

     _Managing UUCP and Usenet_ already has a long and good one.  And thank
heavens!  When I first tried to install C news I had been running Unix for
precisely nine days, with no previous experience on anything but DOS (oh yeah,
and CP/M, if you count that.)  With the help of _Managing_ and the outrageously
helpful C news install script I got it in on the first try and there have been
no, zero, 0, problems since then.  She plug right in 'n' play.

     LARGE PUBLIC THANK-YOU to Messieurs Spencer & Collyer.  Smaller but heart-
felt thank-you to O'Reilly and Todino of Nutshell.

crom2 Athens GA Public Access Unix   |  i486 AT, 16mb RAM, 600mb online
   Molecular Biology                 |  AT&T Unix System V release 3.2
   Population Biology                |  Tbit PEP 19200bps  V.32  V.42/V.42bis
   Ecological Modeling               |    admin: James P. H. Fuller
   Bionet/Usenet/cnews/nn            |    {jim,root}%crom2@nstar.rn.com

dan@kfw.COM (Dan Mick) (05/23/91)

In article <4iTa324w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:

>Punishing people for making errors is not productive.

Oh, pig dung.  Punishing people for making errors is the only way to get them
to stop.

>You have to tell people when they're
>doing something wrong. They might not know.

But you're not allowed to "punish" them.  Oh, I see.  Let's just get rid of
the correctional institutions, and we won't even be upset with people who
kill our families...we'll just tell them they're wrong, because they might
not know.

You, sir, are beyond hope.

) (05/23/91)

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
> In article <4iTa324w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!)
> >                        I'm asking that correctable errors be corrected, so that
> >the human beings who post news articles do not have to go through the header
> >which they have just edited, character by character, making sure that there
> >not a mistake.
>
> 	I take it you don't program.

Ha!

One of the programs I wrote some months ago is an Expire program, currently
used by several Waffle sites. One of the things it has to do is parse dates
in Expires: fields.

Guess what it does if it can't parse the date?  (I'll give you a clue: it
doesn't throw the article away, like C News does.)

>                                  When you write software, or use
> 	other's software to post your perls to a world wide audience,
> 	you had BETTER make sure there is not a mistake.

Really?  How many formally correct news software packages do you know of?

> 	                                              Or do you blame
> 	the auto manufacture when his car dies because you played around
> 	with the F.I. system?

Do you discard the entire car when one of the tires is bald?

In fact, do owners of motorways inspect your car before letting you use
their road, and destroy your car entirely if the wing mirror is badly
adjusted?

mathew

stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (05/23/91)

	(CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>kucharsk@solbourne.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>
>People make mistakes. People edit news headers. Therefore there will always
>be news headers which contain errors.

I think we're mostly talking about software that reliably and consistantly
generates bad headers, not people editing headers and putting in dates
like 91/2/5.

>> It kind of strikes me as the whole war that some Mac developers have waged in
>> the past.  Yes, they'll do really nifty things on the Mac but they'll do thin
>> that _Inside Macintosh_ told them not to do, and when a new System comes out
>> and their app breaks, they're surprised.
>
>But at least they get told about it.
>
>I'm not asking to be allowed to continue sending out bad headers. I'm asking
>to be told when I do send out bad headers, so that I can fix the problem (if
>it is a problem). I'm asking that correctable errors be corrected, so that
>the human beings who post news articles do not have to go through the headers
>which they have just edited, character by character, making sure that there is
>not a mistake.

Okay, everyone, let's all send Matthew ten mail messages each, telling him
that his headers are wrong.  That should be good to fill his mail partition
and bring the trans-atlantic and other network links to a reasonable semblance
of a standstill.  Matthew, why don't you see that there's no practical way
for software to warn the source of bad headers that their software is messed
up?  If software corrects correctable errors, when are the errors ever going
to stop being generated?

--
Mike Pelletier             | "Wind & waves are breakdowns in the commitment of
The University of Michigan |  getting from here to there, but they are the con-

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.144018.1986@engin.umich.edu> stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>Okay, everyone, let's all send Matthew ten mail messages each, telling him
                                ^^^^^^^
>that his headers are wrong.  That should be good to fill his mail partition
>and bring the trans-atlantic and other network links to a reasonable semblance
>of a standstill.  Matthew, why don't you see that there's no practical way
                   ^^^^^^^
>for software to warn the source of bad headers that their software is messed
>up?  If software corrects correctable errors, when are the errors ever going
>to stop being generated?

Whoa. Hang on. There is confusion here. I am Matthew, and mathew@mantis.co.uk
is just that - 'mathew'. Please get the spelling right, or use email addresses
as qualifiers.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
                  You can't kill me, I'm a genius!!!!

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (05/24/91)

In article <ben.674851460@dragonfly.wri.com> ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) writes:
>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>It's been answered at least twice in the last week, for heaven's sake...
>>Please read news(5) instead of trying to wing it.
>
>This does not display a very good attitude on the part of the authors of
>cnews.  If you're sick of answering dumb questions, Henry, just hit "U".

Mebbe it depends on how nicely you ask, Ben?  Or on whether Henry and Geoff
are getting "dollars, homeboy" to take your abuse.

>If you write software and pretend to support it (and your presence in this
>newsgroup indicates that you are at least *pretending* to support it),
>you're gonna have to put up with stupid questions, and answer them either
>with a smile on your face or not at all.

Mebbe when it gets him a regular salary.
Till then you get what you deserve -
you get told to RTFM or get a good answer.
I've always had useful and timely responses from Henry.

Cheers,
--
\/ato                                                               /'\  /`\
Ian Dickinson                 TED KALDIS FOR PRESIDENT!            /^^^\/^^^\

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (05/24/91)

stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:

> Okay, everyone, let's all send Matthew ten mail messages each, telling him
> that his headers are wrong.

(Note: He calls himself "mathew" with one T, and a lower case 'm'. Matthew
 with two T's runs his mailfeed site)

I hope this was a sarcastic comment.  To anyone considering doing this,
please remember that his mailfeed picks up his mail from the UK backbone
on a LD call at UK rates.  The UK backbone can often fail to achieve
400 characters per second on its trailblazer, because the CPU is
rather overloaded, although an upgrade is, I believe, promised.

Flooding expensive mail links is not friendly to the admins in the middle.
Flooding the UK mail backbone will damage mail reliability to all
non-academic UK sites (like mine!).  So, please please please don't
mail him hate mail that's intended to fill his mailbox.  It'll fill
my newsfeed's newsspool as well, and severely hit their telephone bill!

It is obvious that "mathew" is not going to switch from his self-centred
attitude, and that flaming his thick hide will have no effect.

His reason for complaining is that the C News (good) behaviour stops him
from being having his articles read (read: getting attention).  Therefore,
the correct response would be to put him into your kill file and deny him
the attention he really wants, no?
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)