[news.software.b] Still 2 ANSI-C warning msgs in CNEWS of 24 march 91.

lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) (05/24/91)

   I have been recompiling Cnews of 24 march 91 recently. Henry said in the
14 december 90 patch, that ANSI C warning msgs should have been fixed.

   I still run my ANSI C compiler in -Xt ( traditional ) mode. I got 2
warning msgs with the 24-march-91 version.   Here they are:

"dbzmain.c", line 118: warning: semantics of ">" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast
"expire.c", line 564: warning: semantics of "<" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast

When these are fixed also maybe I can start using the cc in ANSI mode ?

Lars.
Lars Tunkrans  Phone +46 (0)76096368   DRS Systems Support
DOMAIN Address : lars@iclswe.icl.se    UUCP:  uunet!mcsun!sunic!iclswe!lars
X400: I=L;S=Tunkrans;OU1=SWE0102;O=ICL Data;P=ICL;A=TEDE;C=SE

In article <1991May23.202601.12930@iclswe.icl.se> lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) writes:
>   I have been recompiling Cnews of 24 march 91 recently. Henry said in the
>14 december 90 patch, that ANSI C warning msgs should have been fixed.

No, I said that *some* of them had been fixed.  Making our sources fully
ANSI compliant is an ongoing process, not yet completed.

>"dbzmain.c", line 118: warning: semantics of ">" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast
>"expire.c", line 564: warning: semantics of "<" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast

Both of these are cases of the compiler being too clever for its own good,
not errors in the source.  They are not bugs and will not be fixed.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry