[news.software.b] Multiple entries for a site in sys file? FAQ answer

geoff@world.std.com (Geoff Collyer) (05/20/91)

chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin) writes:
>I'm wondering if anyone has tried to express a somewhat-complex feed by using
>two (Cnews) sys file entries to the same batchfile.  I'm curious if this might
>cause corruption of the batch file.

No, it will work just fine.  relaynews is aware of the possibility of
multiple sys entries per batch file.

>site:houston,to.site/all,!local,!lgc:F:
>site:all,!to/houston:F:

This should do what you want; this is roughly the sort of thing that the
distributions subfield was added to address.
--
Geoff Collyer		world.std.com!geoff, uunet.uu.net!geoff

rich@mont.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel) (05/20/91)

Is there a file of FAQ's for this conference?

Rich

geoff@world.std.com (Geoff Collyer) (05/20/91)

>Is there a file of FAQ's for this conference?

There is no regular FAQ posting yet for this news group.

Eventually Henry or I will stitch together saved mail and articles
answering the same questions over and over and turn them into a FAQ
document.
--
Geoff Collyer		world.std.com!geoff, uunet.uu.net!geoff

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (05/21/91)

In article <rich.674707482@mont> rich@mont.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel) writes:
<Is there a file of FAQ's for this conference?
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
	This is most definitely a newsgroup!

->Spike

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/21/91)

spike@world.std.com wrote:
>In article <rich.674707482@mont> rich@mont.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel) writes:
><Is there a file of FAQ's for this conference?
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
>	This is most definitely a newsgroup!

 Well, at least Rich didn't call it a "board". :-)

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May20.011845.14572@world.std.com> geoff@world.std.com (Geoff Collyer) writes:
> chris@lgc.com (Chris Martin) writes:
> >I'm wondering if anyone has tried to express a somewhat-complex feed by using
> >two (Cnews) sys file entries to the same batchfile.  I'm curious if this might
> >cause corruption of the batch file.
>
> No, it will work just fine.  relaynews is aware of the possibility of
> multiple sys entries per batch file.

Yes, but batchsplit doesn't take care to remove duplicate articles
from the togo files.  Usually if there are two entries which may
over-lap in their transmission spec's, the lines will be adjacent in
the togo file, and thus instead of the 'mv togo togo.more' in
batchsplit, I have 'uniq < togo > togo.more'.

We have things like this in our sys file:

] #	feed a few regional groups to a neighbor
] #
] neighbor:can,ont,tor,\
] 	!eci,!to,to.neighbor/all,!eci,!local:f:
]
] #	feed *all* "local" (i.e. within 2 hops) postings to neighbors
] #
] neighbor:all,\
] 	!eci,!to,to.neighbor/all,!eci,!local:fL2:

I cannot see a simple way to combine these entries, and because of
administrator over-load, I don't want to have to carefully edit both
such that the second might have "!can,!ont,!tor," added too it.  This
is the simplest example, and only one of many similar constructs.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada