[news.software.b] Junk

res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) (05/28/91)

With all the talk about cnews zapping articles with bad dates, I have noticed
more than a few articles posted to non-existant newsgroups come thru and wind
up in my junk directory (perhaps someone types rec.amateur.radio instead of
rec.radio.amateur).  Nobody seems to be concerned about these bogus groups.
I can only assume that the upstream sites, like me, specify "all/!local" or
something like this when feeding their sites.  Now I wonder: if everyone used
something like "all,!junk/!local", will it have the desired effect, or will it
only affect articles explicitly posted to "Newgroup: junk"?

(I know, I could read the code, or do a test, but with all the expertise on
the net, surely someone can save me the time.)
--
Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

In article <1991May28.034106.17707@colnet.uucp> res@colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
>I can only assume that the upstream sites, like me, specify "all/!local" or
>something like this when feeding their sites.  Now I wonder: if everyone used
>something like "all,!junk/!local", will it have the desired effect...

No.  The sys-file matching is done by what the article headers say, not by
where the article gets filed on your system.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry