[news.software.b] Where does " no Message-ID: header" come from?

jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (05/17/91)

A mysterious entry appears every now and then in the C News log file:
May 17 00:23:15.590 fuug -  no Message-ID: header

_Is_ there some entity in C News (latest release) which logs this kind
of message? And what might cause this? (And yes, the articles do have
Message-ID-headers.)

I've rummaged through most of the source for C News bo to no avail.

Any ideas?

Chape

In article <JPM.91May17011900@sauna.hut.fi> jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) writes:
>A mysterious entry appears every now and then in the C News log file:
>May 17 00:23:15.590 fuug -  no Message-ID: header
>_Is_ there some entity in C News (latest release) which logs this kind
>of message?

Pretty well has to be from relaynews.

>And what might cause this? (And yes, the articles do have
>Message-ID-headers.)

Ah, but do they have non-header lines before them?  Relaynews will stop
picking up headers when it finds a non-header line.  This message probably
is just a symptom of a header syntax error.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

ojala@fuug.fi (Petri Ojala) (05/18/91)

Actually we found that the reason for the problems was the daemon
relaynews patches.  When demonized the incoming news work a lot faster
than usually but unfortunately relaynews -D cannot do everything
newsrun did. It will take the compressed batches in without
decompressing them and that will result the no Message-ID: header
error.

Regards,
Petri

In article <PETRI.OJALA.91May18104955@nic.hut.fi> ojala@fuug.fi (Petri Ojala) writes:
>Actually we found that the reason for the problems was the daemon
>relaynews patches.  When demonized the incoming news work a lot faster
>than usually but unfortunately relaynews -D cannot do everything
>newsrun did...

To repeat a request I made earlier:  the copyright notice on C News permits
unlimited usage on condition that you not mislabel it.  When posting reports
of problems, please distinguish between "C News" and "C News with random
modifications X, Y, and Z".  C News relaynews does not have a -D option.
--

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May17.161234.7333@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <JPM.91May17011900@sauna.hut.fi> jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) writes:
>>A mysterious entry appears every now and then in the C News log file:
>>May 17 00:23:15.590 fuug -  no Message-ID: header
>>_Is_ there some entity in C News (latest release) which logs this kind
>>of message?
>
>Pretty well has to be from relaynews.

I see these same messages in my log files all originating from my own site!!
Some investigation leads me to believe they are generated right after some
control message is processed.  This only occurs on the news server that
has newsrun execle()'d by nntp 1.5.11.  On the server that runs newsrun out of
cron, this doesn't happen.  I don't have any idea why this is happening.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30