[news.software.b] How to set up remote newsreading?

stevef@bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) (05/29/91)

I don't know if this belongs in .newuser, but it's an admin question,
so I'll post it here...

We would like to have the ability to read news on an RS/6000 from
another system (our gateway to the net, and the news machine).  We're
running C news on it, and provide nntp access to our VAX/VMS machines.

Since nntp newsreading is a bit slow, there must be a faster way of
doing this (such as NFS-mounting the news disk and reading the news
directly off that.  However, I don't know how to manage posting from
the remote machine).

I'm sure this is a common situation out there in netland.  Can anyone
suggest to me what's the best way of doing this?

Any info would be appreciated.
                Thanks,
                        - Steve -
Internet: stevef@bony1.bony.COM  |          The Bank Of New York
                                 |          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bang : uunet!bony1!stevef        |        Reality is Nobody's Dream

In article <1991May29.041629.2812@bony1.bony.com> stevef@bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
>Since nntp newsreading is a bit slow, there must be a faster way of
>doing this (such as NFS-mounting the news disk and reading the news
>directly off that.  However, I don't know how to manage posting from
>the remote machine).

If you tell the C News build that you've got a configuration with multiple
machines running off a server, it sets things up so that posting etc. get
punted to the server automatically.  (There are occasional portability
problems with this; best skim notebook/problems first.)  Given that, there
is no problem with accessing news over NFS.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry