[news.software.b] cnews doexpire working?

yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) (05/30/91)

 I have cnews running with patches up through 15-Dec-1990.

I have always noticed that the doexpire does not seem to work
right. I mean it generally expires news and archives it, but I
always notice lots of files with old dates that should have been
expired and deleted.
  By the way, I have noticed that my history and my history.o are
each about 8MB.  I was thinking of rebuilding my history file but
not until I have made sure that the Usenet files were the ones that
I wanted and not antiquated ones.

  By the way, to any people who are just adding the last of the 1990
patches now(like me). Just running build and the doit's wasn't enough.
I was getting all sorts of strange build problems. I did a gclean and
then I ran build and the doit's and everything seemed a lot better.

--
Yale Rosenblatt
System Manager

In article <1991May29.180453.26125@efi.com> yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) writes:
>I have always noticed that the doexpire does not seem to work
>right. I mean it generally expires news and archives it, but I
>always notice lots of files with old dates that should have been
>expired and deleted.

Standard questions:

1. Are you sure they should have expired?  Explicit expiry dates can override
	normal expiry periods, within limits.

2. Are they in the history file?  (newshist can tell you this.)  If not, you
	need to run addmissing.

3. Remember that the order of lines in explist is significant.  See manual.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry