[news.software.b] Major blunder with active file -- how to recover?

paul@actrix.gen.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (05/30/91)

I accidentally blew away my active file, and the newest backup was
over 1 month old.

This means that the second field, showing the highest article
number, is not correct for nearly all news groups.

Please -- how can I update this to reflect what's actually on disk?

Is there some program somewhere which can do this?  I know that
upact only does the third field.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  It's causing all sorts of
strife.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.gen.nz

In article <1991May30.103323.3103@actrix.gen.nz> paul@actrix.gen.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>I accidentally blew away my active file...
>This means that the second field, showing the highest article
>number, is not correct for nearly all news groups.
>Please -- how can I update this to reflect what's actually on disk?

By the looks of your message ID, you're running C News.  The program you
want is "recovact", written up (for no terribly good reason) in the
expire(8) manpage.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry