[news.software.b] Conflict between SVR4 and Cnews getdate.

lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) (06/03/91)

  In SVR4 we have a getdate(3C) function which obviously comes into
conflict with Cnews getdate. My quick and dirty soulution was to rename
Cnews "getdate" to "getdat", this involved changes in just 4 source files
in Cnews, less than 10 individual places in the code.

 My little hack cant be very imagiantive since I know almost nothing about C
There must be several more people around who have ported Cnews to SVR4.
How did you get around this problem ?

Lars.
Lars Tunkrans  Phone +46 (0)76096368   DRS Systems Support
DOMAIN Address : lars@iclswe.icl.se    UUCP:  uunet!mcsun!sunic!iclswe!lars
X400: I=L;S=Tunkrans;OU1=SWE0102;O=ICL Data;P=ICL;A=TEDE;C=SE

kreed@telesys.cts.com (Kevin W. Reed) (06/03/91)

lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) writes:
>  In SVR4 we have a getdate(3C) function which obviously comes into
>conflict with Cnews getdate. My quick and dirty soulution was to rename
>Cnews "getdate" to "getdat", this involved changes in just 4 source files
>in Cnews, less than 10 individual places in the code.

>How did you get around this problem ?

My solution was the same with ESIX 5.4, but I renamed it to cgetdate.
I have as yet to test the resulting binaries though, and I did have a
bunch of warning messages.

Something drastic as changed with the signal functions as well as I get
warning messages for every software package I have compiled so far when
this function comes into play.  I have yet to come up with coding for
signal that won't complain.

--
Kevin W. Reed      TeleSys Development Systems   San Diego, CA USA
{nosc,ucsd}!crash!telesys!kreed              kreed@telesys.cts.com

geoff@world.std.com (Geoff Collyer) (06/04/91)

Lars Tunkrans:
>In SVR4 we have a getdate(3C) function which obviously comes into
>conflict with Cnews [sic] getdate.

More properly, that should be "A News getdate", I believe, or "Steve
Bellovin's getdate" rather than "C News getdate".  We plan to stop
using it eventually.

Ah, yes, SVR4 is just full of botches.  The SVR4 development people
obviously considered 10 years of existing practice with getdate
unimportant.

>My quick and dirty soulution was to rename Cnews [sic] "getdate" to
>"getdat", this involved changes in just 4 source files in Cnews [sic],
>less than 10 individual places in the code.

It would probably be easier to just add " -Dgetdate=getdat" or
" -Dgetdate=getdate_unpolluted_by_SVR4" to COPTS everywhere it appears
in conf/doit.bin.
--
Geoff Collyer		world.std.com!geoff, uunet.uu.net!geoff