[news.software.b] Can I make mail look like news?

dpassage@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (David G. Paschich) (06/06/91)

In article <9106051541.AA20182@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com>
	rand@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com (Douglas K. Rand) writes:
>** johnb@hobbes.mdc.com (John Breen) on 5 Jun 91 00:39:58 GMT
>** in [Can I make mail look like news?] writes:
>
>John> I've recently subscribed to the mailing-list form of this
>John> newsgroup, since I don't have USENET access anymore (end of the
>John> semester, you know).  However, mail isn't quite as nice as news.
>John> Is there any mail reader, sendmail configuration file, or other
>John> tricks that can make mail look more like news?
>
>You don't really have to make mail look like news, just install news
>and pump your mail into news. We don't have a Usenet feed either
>(yet). We are using News locally for "communications".
>
>John> In retrospect, it may have been better to have the mailing list
>John> mail sent to a "dummy" account.
>
>This is how we do it. For every mailing list we subscribe to that more
>than one person is interested in (and for a few that only I am
>interested in :-) we created news groups for them.
>
>For example, I read your article in our mailing-lists.apollo news
>group. To do this, create an alias in your /usr/lib/aliases file that
>looks something like:
>
>apollo:			"| /usr/local/lib/news/recnews mailing-lists.apollo"
>
>And then tell the list maintainer to change your address to this new
>alias. All of a sudden you have your mail in news. We are getting
>about half a dozen mailing lists this way.
>
>(The recnews program is part of B-news. I don't think C-news has
>anthing that works like it yet. But then, I'm not a C-news expert.)
>
>The draw back is that you cannot post to the news group. You have to
>send mail. This isn't too awfully bad for us, as most of the folks
>reading news are "reasonably intellegent". (Oh, they are reading this
>too. Hi folks!)

Actually, the latest news software (I'm not sure if Bnews has it, but Cnews
does) has a provision for moderated newsgroups, where messages it receives
to be posted to a particular group are instead mailed to the moderator.  You
could set up your local news setup so that the mailing-lists.* newsgroups
are moderated, with the moderator's address being the address of the
newsgroup.

Follow-ups to news.software.b, becuase this isn't just of interest to those
of us stuck with Apollos.

David G. Paschich    Open Computing Facility    UC Berkeley
dpassage@ocf.berkeley.edu
"They might be brain / They might be washed /
	They might be Dr. Spock's back-up band"