[news.software.b] Supercilious pedantry

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (05/31/91)

When I posted an article the other day, I inadvertently deleted the space
(0x20) following the colon in the "Keywords:" header.  I received mail from
somebody or other informing me that my article had beed rejected due do its
failure thereby to adhere to the most high and correct standard.

Please accept my abject apologies for my error.  I sincerely hope that my
article has been rejected by all righteous and morally upstanding hosts.  I
do not want the fruit of my transgression to propogate and further pollute
the pristine purity of the net.
--
Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/31/91)

In article <4294@polari.UUCP> kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:

   When I posted an article the other day, I inadvertently deleted the space
   (0x20) following the colon in the "Keywords:" header.  I received mail from
   somebody or other informing me that my article had beed rejected due do its
   failure thereby to adhere to the most high and correct standard.

Which news reader were you using to post this?  This is a bug in your
news software, which should be brought to the attention of the
maintainer of that software and fixed in the next public release.

--Ed

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (05/31/91)

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
> When I posted an article the other day, I inadvertently deleted the space
> (0x20) following the colon in the "Keywords:" header.  I received mail from
> somebody or other informing me that my article had beed rejected due do its
> failure thereby to adhere to the most high and correct standard.

Indeed. As is well known, all users memorize RFC822, RFC1036 and RFC1123
before posting, and can recite them backwards.

The fact that you were *foolish* enough to make a *mistake* sets you apart
from the regular readers of this newsgroup, who are all perfect and hence do
not require their software to cope with other people's errors (or even report
them.)

> do not want the fruit of my transgression to propogate and further pollute
> the pristine purity of the net.

Indeed. As is also firmly established, the purpose of the net is to save
time. Every article deleted betters the net.

Consider yourself lucky. In the next release of C News, all posters will be
required to attach electrodes to their nipples so that inews can administer a
short but painful corrective punishment.

mathew

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (06/02/91)

In article <EMV.91May30202658@bronte.aa.ox.com> emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>Which news reader were you using to post this?

An old version of rn, and bnews somewhere around patchlevel 19.  Our new
machine is running cnews and rn from whatever version was on uunet.uu.net
about a month ago.  Perhaps that problem is fixed in the current revision
of Pnews.

The new machine is supposed to be running today, but its root drive just
blew up, so maybe it won't be...
--
Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (06/03/91)

In article <8JHT34w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>Consider yourself lucky. In the next release of C News, all posters will be
>required to attach electrodes to their nipples so that inews can administer a
>short but painful corrective punishment.

That facility only comes with D news or later, and is configurable.

Personally, I'd make it flail the user with a length of hosepipe :-)
--
\/ato                                                               /'\  /`\
Ian Dickinson                 TED KALDIS FOR PRESIDENT!            /^^^\/^^^\

mbn@mbn.fps.com (Mike Northam ext 2651) (06/06/91)

In article <T~3_BF$@warwick.ac.uk> cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
| In article <8JHT34w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
| >Consider yourself lucky. In the next release of C News, all posters will be
| >required to attach electrodes to their nipples so that inews can administer a
| >short but painful corrective punishment.
|
| That facility only comes with D news or later, and is configurable.
|
| Personally, I'd make it flail the user with a length of hosepipe :-)

Time to move this discussion to alt.sex.bondage, it appears :-)
--
Mike Northam             mbn@fpssun.fps.com     Home:123 11' 40"W   45 37' 14"N
(503) 641-3151 x2651     {tektronix}!fpssun!mbn