[news.software.b] test

root@tmmnet.UUCP (Thomas M. Marshall, Esq. - tmmnet ltd.) (11/28/86)

Please excuse this posting, if it gets out.

Subject: Segmentation Fault Problem
Newsgroups: net.lang.c,net.micro.68k

I am running a CADMUS 9730; a 68010 based system using CADMUS' Rel
3.9 Version of UNIX (tm AT&T) System V (somewhere in between Rel 1
and 2 - no Rel 3 at all).

About 60-70% of the source programs I save from the net.sources;
or mod.sources USENET distribution, after I get them to compile,
when run produce the following message:
	Segmentation fault: core dump

While I have some notion of what that means, I haven't a clue as
to any "code" I can introduce that will avoid the basic problem.

It is extremely annoying to spend hours getting, for example rn or
the news 2.11 to compile at all (CADMUS has some strange places
for lib and include files, definitely "non-standard") and then to
find that any attempt to run the program/executable file will dump
a core an at the same time lock up the tty.

If any kind and knowledgeable soul out there has any suggestions
for some code or way to convert "portable" sources to this machine
so as to avoid the problem, I'd greatly appreciate e-mail or a
posting if you think it would benefit other 68k users.

Thanks in advance.

			Thomas M. Marshall, Esq. (Tom)
			tmmnet ltd.
			(...{ittatc,bty}tmmnet!tom)
			USMail: 89 Patriots Rd.
			Morris Plains, NJ 07950
			Voice: 201-993-5779
			Modem: 201-326-9776 (UNIX V login: guest)
Jimmy Stewart statement to Henry Fonda in "Cheyenne Social Club":
   "Never read a letter from a lawyer on an empty stomach!"

FARHANG@PURCCVM.BITNET (06/06/91)

this is just a test