[news.software.b] Why am I still getting stale/misdated news?

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/07/91)

Hiya -
	What I was wondering was, if UUNET has upgraded to Cnews, then
why do I still get stale or misdated news? Every morning I have to welcome
yet another message from the news transporter telling me it has trashed
at least one article.
	What version of Cnews is UUNET running? The new, great version or
the old lax one?

	- Jiro Nakamura
	  jiro@shaman.com  <-- direct feed off UUNET
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
The Shaman Group			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

In article <1991Jun7.133653.1877@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>	What I was wondering was, if UUNET has upgraded to Cnews, then
>why do I still get stale or misdated news? ...

Well, the obvious first question is "You're sure it's coming from UUNET?".
If that "still" implies you were getting it before, then something does
not compute -- UUNET formerly ran B News, which had date filters similar
to those of the modern C News.

It's also worth bearing in mind that UUNET's notion of what is "stale"
may be more generous than yours.

>	What version of Cnews is UUNET running? The new, great version or
>the old lax one?

A newer and greater version, actually.  A number of mods were added for
UUNET's, uh, unusual situation.  Most of them will probably filter out into
the distribution version eventually.

Bear in mind, however, that their news configuration is seriously strange
for excellent reasons, and it's not quite out of the question that surprises
might show up.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.160832.9230@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry
Spencer) writes:
> In article <1991Jun7.133653.1877@shaman.com> I wrote:
> >	What I was wondering was, if UUNET has upgraded to Cnews, then
> >why do I still get stale or misdated news? ...
>
> Well, the obvious first question is "You're sure it's coming from UUNET?".
> If that "still" implies you were getting it before, then something does
> not compute -- UUNET formerly ran B News, which had date filters similar
> to those of the modern C News.

     Sorry for the misplaced "still." What I meant was that ever since I
upgraded to the new patch of CNews, I've been getting these error messages
posted to me (News admin). I do/did not know when UUNET was upgraded to
Cnews, so I was surprised by the fact I was getting them.

> It's also worth bearing in mind that UUNET's notion of what is "stale"
> may be more generous than yours.

   That is most probably what is happening.  I can understand why UUNET
might be more generous then my site's news policies.

    - Jiro Nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE