[news.software.b] Creating a local moderated newsgroup

gtephx (Marvin Yount) (06/08/91)

We're trying to set up a local newsgroup but we would like to make it
moderated so that only one individual can post to it.  Our first attempt
seemed to go well...  until, that is, we actually tried a test posting,
Then we received a message indicating that the article was being mailed
to an address that included the newsgroup name.  We've looked through
the documentation we have, but can't find any reference to designating a
person for the mail to go to.

We are running the latest version of C News, but it seems to me this
problem is independent of the transport agent.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, or generally on setting up a
local moderated newsgroup, we would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.

Marv Yount            AG Communication Systems, Phoenix
INTERNET: gtephx!yountm@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc}!gtephx!yountm

In article <1991Jun7.232904.804@...!asuvax!gtephx> yountm@...!asuvax!gtephx (Marvin Yount) writes:
>We're trying to set up a local newsgroup but we would like to make it
>moderated so that only one individual can post to it.  Our first attempt

  Start by fixing your host name and reply address.

  What you have at present is total garbage.  You aren't going to get much
help this way.

>From: yountm@...!asuvax!gtephx (Marvin Yount)

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/10/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>yountm@...!asuvax!gtephx (Marvin Yount) writes:
>>We're trying to set up a local newsgroup but we would like to make it
>>moderated so that only one individual can post to it.  Our first attempt
>
>  Start by fixing your host name and reply address.

Agreed. That's gotta be a candidate for worst-offender-of-the-month.

>  What you have at present is total garbage.  You aren't going to get much
>help this way.
>
>>From: yountm@...!asuvax!gtephx (Marvin Yount)

Be a little more forgiving...
Take a look at the file /usr/lib/news/mailpaths. If your group a.b.c should
be moderated, and the moderator is "mod-man" at your site, insert this line
at the top of that file:
a.b.c<TAB>mod-man

That's all it takes. (BTW, I don't know if this is documented. I seem to recall
the documentation saying that you only need to touch this file if you're a
backbone, in which case you allready know what to do. But I may be mistaken.
If I'm correct, it's not very helpful and should be changed...)

The "%s" that you see on the last line stands for x-y-z, for any given group
x.y.z which is moderated. So if you had a whole collection of local moderated
groups, and you wanted the mailing address of those groups to correspond to
their names, you could do something like this:
local.mod.all<TAB>%s

...assuming all the groups were in the local.mod part of your news hierarchy.
At panix we gateway several mailing lists into newsgroups named
panix.mlist.whatever. If you have several machines all using these groups,
all the machines except the moderator's would have
local.mod.all<TAB>mod-host!%s
in their mailpaths file where mod-host is the moderator's machine.

Good luck (and fix those headers!!!)
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis@panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis