[news.software.b] rn in Sun cmdtool

hanson@fnnews.fnal.gov (Steve Hanson) (06/11/91)

This has undoubtedly been asked before, but ---

I have recently brought up a news server and some reader software and
I see one quirk I don't understand.  Trn does not seem to want to
do screen handling properly in a Sun cmdtool.  Works fine in shelltool
or in a vt100 emulator, but in cmdtool it seems mightily confused about
cursor position, etc, particularly when marking threads.  Anyone have
a solution for that?.  I have installed patch 1 and 2.

--
Steve Hanson - FERMILAB, Batavia, Il.  (708)840-8043
hanson@pogo.fnal.gov

jim@saylor.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (06/15/91)

In article <379@fnnews.fnal.gov> hanson@fnnews.fnal.gov (Steve Hanson) writes:
>This has undoubtedly been asked before, but ---
>
>I have recently brought up a news server and some reader software and
>I see one quirk I don't understand.  Trn does not seem to want to
>do screen handling properly in a Sun cmdtool.  Works fine in shelltool
>or in a vt100 emulator, but in cmdtool it seems mightily confused about
>cursor position, etc, particularly when marking threads.  Anyone have
>a solution for that?.  I have installed patch 1 and 2.

Two things:  One, cmdtool with scrolling enabled doesn't do cursor
positioning.  The workaround is to disable scrolling before running
trn.

Two, before starting trn, issue a \E3 or \E4 (an Escape 3 or 4).  I
forget which one it is, but it should kick it into a panel, which is what
you get with vi, or other packages which use curses instead of termlib.

--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-7451
Saylors Software First		jim@saylor.mn.org or jim@aob.mn.org

>I have recently brought up a news server and some reader software and
>I see one quirk I don't understand.  Trn does not seem to want to
>do screen handling properly in a Sun cmdtool.

Programs that do not send out the "ti" capability (or its "terminfo"
equivalent, whose name I don't remember offhand) when they start doing
"full-screen" stuff (stuff involving cursor positioning) generally do
not end up doing screen handling properly in a "cmdtool".

"cmdtool" doesn't do cursor positioning, so you have to send it the
appropriate escape sequence (which is what's in the standard "ti"
capability for "sun-cmd" - you *do* have TERM set to "sun-cmd", right?)
which causes "cmdtool" to un-"cmdtool" itself and start acting like
"shelltool" (by running the same tty subwindow code as "shelltool"
does).

If anybody feels ambitious enough to look at this, note that you should
also send out the "te" capability (or its "terminfo" equivalent) when
you leave "trn" or suspend "trn" or otherwise stop doing full-screen
stuff.