[news.software.b] Disk space checking in CNEWS

richv@hpinddu.cup.hp.com (Rich Van Gaasbeck) (06/21/91)

I'm finding more and more evidence that CNEWS expects everthing below
/usr/spool/news to be on the same file system.  My first clue is that
the space determining program (I forget the name, spacefor?) as written
only looks at the space on the filesystem passed as a argument (and
none below it).  A fellow news user says there is a second problem,
CNEWS hardlinks crossposted articles, which won't work across file
systems.

Am I right?  Are the choices 1) use ONE very large disk, or 2) expire
articles fast enough to fit whatever ONE disk (really filesystem) you
have and not 3) use several disks (filesystems) to hold
/usr/spool/news.

Richv
richv@hpinddu.cup.hp.com

In article <RICHV.91Jun21171136@hpinddr.cup.hp.com> richv@hpinddu.cup.hp.com (Rich Van Gaasbeck) writes:
>I'm finding more and more evidence that CNEWS expects everthing below
>/usr/spool/news to be on the same file system.  My first clue is that
>the space determining program (I forget the name, spacefor?) as written
>only looks at the space on the filesystem passed as a argument (and
>none below it).  A fellow news user says there is a second problem,
>CNEWS hardlinks crossposted articles, which won't work across file
>systems.

Your fellow user hasn't looked quite closely enough, since C News will
try to make a symbolic link if the hard link fails.  (Expire does not
support this perfectly unless you give it the -l option, mind you.)

That aside, you've got the right idea but not expressed quite precisely
enough.  C News makes one space check before processing a batch.  That
check doesn't necessarily have to check only one filesystem, although
that's the way it works as supplied.  There is no reason why a custom
spacefor couldn't check multiple filesystems and take the minimum, or
something like that.

The reason for doing one check per batch is simple:  space checks are
potentially quite expensive.  Note also that, as documented, the space
checks are not intended to let you run right up to the ragged edge, only
to head off gross problems.  That being the case, one check per batch
seems a reasonable approach.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry