[news.software.b] LET'S NAME THE GUILTY POSTING SOFTWARE!!!

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Scoob) (06/16/91)

>>> In this thread we could read...
>
>>> Each user chooses which system and what software to use for posting to
>>> Usenet.
>>
>>No. Each system administrator chooses the system and software.
>
>Rather, each system's administrator chooses the software, and each
>user chooses administrator/system/software as a package.
>
>>So if you punish users, you will still end up punishing the innocent.
>
>Who said anything about punishment?  I'm talking about the facts of
>life, not trying to set policy.

	OK OK !!! how about trying to get things to work instead of finding
the bad guy or the innocent...

	It's true that the poor user is innocent in all that.  (But can one
be innocent by ingorance?)  Let's just make sure that people know or have
an easy way to know weither their posting software works.

	An easy way is if your feed is a CNEWS site.  You simply post a
news to something like gnu.test and half a dozen of major sites in the US
send you an automated mail saying that your news got to their place
(ET VOILA !!!).

	Now, it would be a nice thing if instead of fighting over who gets
to sit beside Henry at the party, we started identifying the "real BAD
guys", i.e. the faulty posting softwares...

	How about the popular ones (sorry I only know about UNIX ones):
	rn, trn, nn, gnus, gnews, xrn ????  Do they post valid articles?

	Let's name the GOOD and nane + correct the bad.

	If the guy fills his header by hand, let him do it.  But it's his
responsability to write a "LEGAL" header...

	SO, WHO WILL TROW THE FIRST STONE AT THE BAD GUYS ???

Christian Marcotte			    scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal		    tel: (514) 340-4476
Laboratoire de recherche en VLSI

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/19/91)

According to scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Scoob):
> How about the popular ones (sorry I only know about UNIX ones):
> rn, trn, nn, gnus, gnews, xrn ????  Do they post valid articles?

Neither rn nor trn guarantees that the article it generates is valid.
However, a C News site will reject an invalid article after it is
submitted by rn or trn.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.com>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "You can call Usenet a democracy if you want to.  You can call it a

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/19/91)

In article <285E730F.4EC0@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Neither rn nor trn guarantees that the article it generates is valid.
>However, a C News site will reject an invalid article after it is
>submitted by rn or trn.

The responsibility for validating the headers should be the software that
posts the software into the system. If the headers are not valid, then the
posting software should generate an error message immediately. The posting
software for the systems I am familiar with is called inews. It is called
by user posting front-ends such as Pnews and postnews.

Unfortunately, some news transports spool posted articles for later
processing by the posting software. In this case, the poster may not
know the article had invalid header lines.

An analog with mail is that the mail transfer agent validates the headers
and returns the mail if headers are invalid. The user agent (which might
just be a text editor) may or may not have any such checking. This is as
it should be.

As far as I know, news transports don't have the "mailer-daemon" feature
of mail. I think there has been some discussion of this elsewhere. Hopefully,
something this useful will find its way into today's news transports to
help deal with this problem.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Scoob) (06/19/91)

In article <6068@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>In article <285E730F.4EC0@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>Neither rn nor trn guarantees that the article it generates is valid.
[...]
>The responsibility for validating the headers should be the software that
>posts the software into the system. If the headers are not valid, then the
>posting software should generate an error message immediately. The posting
>software for the systems I am familiar with is called inews. It is called
>by user posting front-ends such as Pnews and postnews.

	Well I guess we're home free now since Stan JUST happens to
maintain BOTH rn (Pnews) and nntp(mini-inews)  };-)

>Unfortunately, some news transports spool posted articles for later
>processing by the posting software. In this case, the poster may not
>know the article had invalid header lines.

	Pnews (which we use with trrn) does NOT spool posted articles for
later processing.  Mini-inews (a mini nntp front end to inews) simply drops
bad articles on the floor silently (***Sounds familiar***) and terminates
as if everything was OK.  This behavior is VERY anoying.

>An analog with mail is that the mail transfer agent validates the headers
>and returns the mail if headers are invalid. The user agent (which might
>just be a text editor) may or may not have any such checking. This is as
>it should be.
>
>As far as I know, news transports don't have the "mailer-daemon" feature
>of mail. I think there has been some discussion of this elsewhere. Hopefully,
>something this useful will find its way into today's news transports to
>help deal with this problem.

Stan, my friend, YOU HAVE THE POWER to do this.  (BUT you probably don't
have the time :-<)   The mail feedback solution IS possible in this case.
We all understand that the mail feedback is NOT reasonnable in the case of
the news sites flooding each other with bad article mails but here we can
efficiently use this method.  As mentionned in Stan's posting, the mail
system does it succesfully  **WHAT ARE WE WAITNIG FOR**.

	If I recall correctly from the mini-inews README file, the guy who
wrote it was saying something like: "It's a very slim subset of inews but
don't bother me for more features.  It works like that and it stays like
that".

	Well it was a bit anoying in the past but now that Cnews deciced
NOT to be forgiving anymoure it would be nice to get a feed back from
mini-inews on weither or not the article was posted correctly.

	If one tries to post a bobus news from a CNEWS site, it simply
won't get to the local news spool.  Hence a way to find out if your posting
was valid (still not very friendly...).  The poor guy at a BNEWS site can
only find out by calling a friend at a CNEWS site and ask him to check for
his posting (definitly NOT friendly).

	Stan, how hard would it be to build a mail feedback mechanisim for
mini-inews?  (Common errors include a typo in a newsgroup name).  If a
modificaiton to mini-inews is too much work or inews itself doesn't provide
feedback (like ok it passed or NO it's rejected), maybe a Perl header
checker called from Pnews or something along those lines.  How much work is
involved in checking for a header validity?

BTW:	Stan:  Thanks a lot for the effort you put in supporting those
software.  In those days of flaming authors I think a little path on the
back is in order.

Christian Marcotte			    scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal		    tel: (514) 340-4476
Laboratoire de recherche en VLSI

In article <6068@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>Unfortunately, some news transports spool posted articles for later
>processing by the posting software. In this case, the poster may not
>know the article had invalid header lines.

I'd be curious to know what transport systems do this.  C News, as shipped,
doesn't -- the posting validation is done by inews, which runs immediately.
(We have talked about having the *validated* article spooled for later
processing rather than processed immediately, although at the moment it
is done immediately.)  Unless we've overlooked something, an article which
gets through inews should pass relaynews's checks.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

In article <1991Jun19.154645.11885@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <6068@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>Unfortunately, some news transports spool posted articles for later
>>processing by the posting software. In this case, the poster may not
>>know the article had invalid header lines.
>
>I'd be curious to know what transport systems do this.  C News, as shipped,

 One that comes to mind is the mini-inews supplied with NNTP.  I hope the
new version that Rich Salz announced will solve some of these problems.

>doesn't -- the posting validation is done by inews, which runs immediately.
>(We have talked about having the *validated* article spooled for later
>processing rather than processed immediately, although at the moment it
>is done immediately.)  Unless we've overlooked something, an article which
>gets through inews should pass relaynews's checks.

  Yes.  What you have overlooked is the date checking.  An article that passes
inews has a syntactically valid date.  But the date may not be within the
time limits used by the local relaynews.  Because of the way inews invokes
relaynews, the actual date checking is done by relaynews at the next news
site down the line, and this is where the article will be silently dropped
with no feedback to the Author.  This is particularly a problem with mail
gatewayed into news, where wild dates (from unset PC clocks, for example)
are common.

 Yesterday, for example, my Cnews rejected 16 articles (older than 30 days)
received from a feed which is also running the latest Cnews.  On occasion
when I have checked, these articles had dates which were far too old for
the feed, but sneaked by because of this loophole.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

In article <1991Jun19.172544.32267@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>...the actual date checking is done by relaynews at the next news
>site down the line, and this is where the article will be silently dropped
>with no feedback to the Author...

Unfortunately, there is absolutely and positively no way inews can check
this, and it's not just a problem at the next site down the line.  *Any*
site could drop your article as too old.  The definition of "too old"
depends on expiry policy, since it is basically "anything too old to be
in the history file".  Somebody who is keeping very little history may
well drop even relatively recent articles as "too old".  It is impossible
for inews to do a single check that will cover you against any possible
"too old" criterion.

This is why we really hoped that detection of recirculating stale news
could be done via history, rather than by setting a date threshold.
There is just no entirely satisfactory setting for that threshold.
Alas, there is simply too much news to keep history for months, which
turns out to be what's needed.

Checking the date for completely wild values, on the other hand, might
be feasible.  However...

>... This is particularly a problem with mail
>gatewayed into news, where wild dates (from unset PC clocks, for example)
>are common.

As we have commented in the past, just piping mail into inews as a gateway
is a mistake.  Inews was not built for that.  It's becoming clear that we
need to address the mail->news gatewaying issue in some more systematic
way, but it's not easy.
--

In article <1991Jun19.182811.19812@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Jun19.172544.32267@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>>...the actual date checking is done by relaynews at the next news
>>site down the line, and this is where the article will be silently dropped
>>with no feedback to the Author...
>
>Unfortunately, there is absolutely and positively no way inews can check
>this, and it's not just a problem at the next site down the line.  *Any*

  Why don't you discuss the issue, and not something else?

  If my site holds a month of history, and the next site only holds two
weeks, that is just too bad.  I agree with that.

  If my site holds one month of history, and a user here posts an article
with a 1980 date on it, the local inews does not complain, the local
relaynews does not complain.  It is dropped down the line.  The fact that
it is dropped down the line is just too bad.  But the fact that inews DID
NOT COMPLAIN is just a design error, which ought to be fixed in your next
release.

 Don't tell me that "Unfortunately, there is absolutely and positively no
way inews can check this", because that is absolutely and positively not
a believable position.

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.172544.32267@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> One that comes to mind is the mini-inews supplied with NNTP.  I hope the
>new version that Rich Salz announced will solve some of these problems.

Mini-inews is NOT a transport. It is just a feed into NNTP which in turn
feeds it into the REAL inews in the news transport. THAT is where all these
checks should occur.

I am afraid that adding more smarts to mini-inews just clouds the real issue.

--

In article <6098@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>Mini-inews is NOT a transport. It is just a feed into NNTP which in turn
>feeds it into the REAL inews in the news transport. THAT is where all these
>checks should occur.

  But that is exactly the point.  mini-inews does not do the error checking
of the REAL inews, but if effectively isolates the poster from the REAL
inews making good feedback difficult.  It also does not support all of the
options newsreaders use in a REAL inews, and it sometimes takes interminably
long to complete when there is a human sitting impatiently waiting to
proceed with the next order of business.  Both of these facts encourage
installation of buggy shell script front ends to inews which further
contribute to the real problem.

  Perhaps you want mini-inews submitters to log into their news host
occasionally and look in ~news/dead.article to see if their articles were
dropped?  Any well designed REAL inews which does report errors is going
to decide that the report should go to ~news (or whatever uid nntpd runs
as) on the news host.

>I am afraid that adding more smarts to mini-inews just clouds the real issue.

 And what is the real issue?  Is it that once mini-inews has convinced the
news software that the article is submitted by news@news.host, the news
software is now unable to discover where it should really complain?

In article <1991Jun20.114358.4871@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>It also does not support all of the options newsreaders use in a REAL inews,
>and it sometimes takes interminably long to complete when there is a human
>sitting impatiently waiting to proceed with the next order of business.
>Both of these facts encourage installation of buggy shell script front ends to>inews which further contribute to the real problem.

Let's see if we can agree on the REAL problem.
The REAL problem as I see it is that the inews in the news transport does
not to an adequate job of checking headers and returning bad articles to the
user.

Now, we could add some smarts to mini-inews to move the detection closer to
the user. How does this fix the REAL problem?

What about software that DOES NOT USE mini-inews to post articles?

I don't disagree with the idea of adding capabilities to mini-inews to
support all the optional flags of inews. I am concerned that mini-inews
and the real inews may disagree on header processing issues. Right now with
CNEWS, header processing is a moving target.

--

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (06/20/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>In article <6098@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>Mini-inews is NOT a transport. It is just a feed into NNTP which in turn
>>feeds it into the REAL inews in the news transport. THAT is where all these
>>checks should occur.

>  But that is exactly the point.  mini-inews does not do the error checking
>of the REAL inews, but if effectively isolates the poster from the REAL
>inews making good feedback difficult.

Good point.  What we really need is a "standard library" that will do
syntax checking on article headers.  Make it real portable, PD, and
hand it out to the world.  Henry/Geoff, is this section of C-news
"libraryizable"?  (gads, what a horrid neologism)

Once we have this, adding said function to mini-inews, waffle, etc,
etc, becomes relatively trivial.  It doesn't solve the problem of
installation that don't upgrade, but it's a solid step to make the
situation better in the future.
--
  "If we don't provide support to our users someone is bound to
   confuse us with Microsoft."

In article <6102@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>Let's see if we can agree on the REAL problem.
>The REAL problem as I see it is that the inews in the news transport does
>not to an adequate job of checking headers and returning bad articles to the
>user.

  The "user" is identified in three places.  The "Path:" header, the
"From:" header and the "Sender:" header.  With mini-inews, two of these
are WRONG.  Specifically, the "Path:" header generated by mini-inews
does not have the host name where the article was created, so the "Path:"
finishes up incorrectly giving an address on the nntp server instead of
the client.  Because of the way mini-inews submits the article through
inews, the "From:" header does not correspond to the actual submitter
which is typically news@news.server.  Therefore a properly designed inews
is obliged to put the authentic sender address in the "Sender:" header.

  The RFCs are pretty clear that in the presence of both a "From:" and
a "Sender:", error reports are to go to "Sender:".

  The implication is clear to all except those who refuse to admit it.  The
way mini-inews works is WRONG.  The article has to be injected on the server
at some point after handling the "Sender:" header, so that an invalid "Sender:"
is not generated.  However it has to be injected before the "Newsgroups:"
header processing so that moderated groups will be managed correctly.
Just pumping the article into inews on the server is the wrong approach.  It
needs a special interface.  Either there needs to be an option on the server
inews to skip the addition of the "Sender:", or there needs to be a special
front end.  In the meantime mini-inews must correctly handle the "Path:" and
"Sender:" headers itself.  Since mini-inews isolates the submitter from the
real submitting software, good design would dictate that it should also
validate the syntax of the other headers.  It probably need not create a
"Message-ID:" or "Date:".  They are better done on the server, where there
is a stronger incentive to keep the clock approximately accurate.  However
if these headers already exist, they should be checked for correct syntax so
that the news submitter can be informed.

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.145913.28280@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>  The "user" is identified in three places.  The "Path:" header, the
>"From:" header and the "Sender:" header.  With mini-inews, two of these
>are WRONG.  Specifically, the "Path:" header generated by mini-inews
>does not have the host name where the article was created, so the "Path:"
>finishes up incorrectly giving an address on the nntp server instead of
>the client.

I reject the idea that the PATH: header does anything more that help
news determine if an article has been seen by a particular machine.

I will save your bug report for consideration in NNTP 1.6 with respect to
"From:" and "Sender:"

You might consider sending bug reports to the "nntp@tmc.edu" since that is
what it is there for.

--

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (06/21/91)

In article <6102@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

> The REAL problem as I see it is that the inews in the news transport does
> not to an adequate job of checking headers and returning bad articles to the
> user.

Seems reasonable to me.

> Now, we could add some smarts to mini-inews to move the detection closer to
> the user. How does this fix the REAL problem?

It doesn't?  How surprising :-)

> I am concerned that mini-inews
> and the real inews may disagree on header processing issues. Right now with
> CNEWS, header processing is a moving target.

That doesn't sound right to me.  The target is, of course, 822, 1036 and HR.
Yeah, that changes from time to time, but not that often ;-)  Now,
given that the problems of both

	a) how to gateway mail->news
and	b) making sure the local mailer works

need to be solved anyway, why not solve those *properly*, then use the
resulting technology and _always post via the mailer_ ? Sure, there's
some issues to resolve, like the status of headers like Newsgroups:
etc.  But at least the mechanisms like return-to-sender-on-error, etc
are already there to use.  And just run an SMTP server on every NNTP
host, configuring the local active file into its mail alias table?

Seems like the "cleanest" solution to me.  At the very least, it means
that you only have to maintain news verification software on the
servers -- a real issue if you really think that the target moves.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.154645.11885@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <6068@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>Unfortunately, some news transports spool posted articles for later
>>processing by the posting software. In this case, the poster may not
>>know the article had invalid header lines.

>I'd be curious to know what transport systems do this.

Bnews does.  If you invoke inews whilst expire is running, or have
turned on SPOOLINEWS (I think it's called that), the article will
be left in $SPOOLDIR/.rnews until a subsequent "rnews -U" or during
the rnews that expire fires up.  However, header checking is done
before the article is spooled, tho, there's obviously classes of
errors that the later rnews run could find that cause the article to be
rejected.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

In article <6106@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

>I reject the idea that the PATH: header does anything more that help
>news determine if an article has been seen by a particular machine.

  Stan,

 I hope you will reconsider this.  In theory you are right.  But in practice
there are many systems which do reply to the 'Path:' header.  Even the
news2mail program in the newsgate package posted a few months ago uses the
'Path:' to generate the email 'From:', although I admit to not understanding
why they made that choice.

 It is easy to dismiss this by saying that somebody else's misconfigured
system is their problem, not yours.  But please give a little thought to
the implications.

 Suppose I run a site reading news via nntp, and use your mini-inews which
generates a bad address on the 'Path:'.  Here are some of the implications.

  1.	A user as a site which replies to the 'Path:' cannot reply to a
	poster on my system.

  2.	The poster on my system will get less replies.

  3.	My news server host will have to bounce mail addressed to 'Path:'.

  4.	Some poor user on the news server host, whose login id happens to be
	the same as that of the post on my site, may finish up being the
	unintended victim of a flame fest intended for the poster at my site.

 Now I am quite willing to dismiss 1 and 2.  But I will not dismiss 3 and 4
as unimportant.  I have an obligation to not cause unnecessary problems for
my news server.  Saying that the fault is at the site using 'Path:' for
replies does not answer the fact that I can avoid it with a different path
on postings generated here.

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/22/91)

According to rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>In practice there are many systems which do reply to the 'Path:'
>header.  Even the news2mail program in the newsgate package posted a
>few months ago uses the 'Path:' to generate the email 'From:' ...

Then that program is broken.

The Path: is strictly, 100% pure Usenet transport information.  It has
zero relevance to E-Mail, except by coincidence.  To use it for any
purpose relevant to E-Mail is a mistake.

This fact is obvious when you consider E-Mail to news gateways.  If
the E-Mail return path were instituted as the Path: of the article,
then the article would not be forwarded to those sites mentioned in
that return path.  The GNU newsgroups had this problem until recently,
but now they work correctly.

>  4.	Some poor user on the news server host, whose login id happens to be
>	the same as that of the post on my site, may finish up being the
>	unintended victim of a flame fest intended for the poster at my site.

In that case, the "user" part of the Path: should be "unrepliable" or
some other such string, not a real user name.
--

In article <28636AD9.5E00@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>>In practice there are many systems which do reply to the 'Path:'
>>
>>  4.	Some poor user on the news server host, whose login id happens to be
>>	the same as that of the post on my site, may finish up being the
>>	unintended victim of a flame fest intended for the poster at my site.
>
>In that case, the "user" part of the Path: should be "unrepliable" or
>some other such string, not a real user name.

 I have no objections to that.  My only point was that mini-inews current
practice in generating Path: has undesirable side effects on the news
server.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/23/91)

In <6098@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>Mini-inews is NOT a transport. It is just a feed into NNTP which in turn
>feeds it into the REAL inews in the news transport. THAT is where all these
>checks should occur.
I disagree.  I think that a program that took a user's article, verified
all the headers, processed the .signature, and then fed it to the NNTP
port of the campus server would be a very useful thing indeed.  I wrote
one, it's in beta-test right now.  For historical compatibility, I
call the program inews.  If my inews accepts your article, you can be
very sure that the only reason the server would reject it is because of
a transient failure like disk full.

It's a very simple program to write:
    litchi% wc -l frontends/inews.c
	 937    frontends/inews.c
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

In article <1991Jun19.192501.23864@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>>>...the actual date checking is done by relaynews at the next news
>>>site down the line...
>>
>>Unfortunately, there is absolutely and positively no way inews can check
>>this, and it's not just a problem at the next site down the line...
>
>  Why don't you discuss the issue, and not something else?

I was discussing this issue, albeit perhaps in a slightly subtle way.

>  If my site holds a month of history, and the next site only holds two
>weeks, that is just too bad.  I agree with that.
>
>  If my site holds one month of history, and a user here posts an article
>with a 1980 date on it, the local inews does not complain, the local
>relaynews does not complain.  It is dropped down the line.  The fact that
>it is dropped down the line is just too bad.  But the fact that inews DID
>NOT COMPLAIN is just a design error...

What should it complain about?  The fact that the date is outside the legal
range on *your* site?  What does that signify?  It certainly doesn't signify
that the article is going to get dropped further down the line.  Nor does
the absence of such an out-of-range condition signify that the article won't
be dropped at the very next site.  What, exactly, should be the criterion
for complaint?  What, exactly, are you promising the user if that complaint
does not appear?

> Don't tell me that "Unfortunately, there is absolutely and positively no
>way inews can check this", because that is absolutely and positively not
>a believable position.

I assumed you wanted it to check whether the date would permit downstream
propagation.  There is absolutely and positively no way it can do that.
Really.  The information just isn't available.

As I think I mentioned, checking for a utterly nonsensical date is not out of
the question, although even there it gets tricky to decide what qualifies.
But that's a different problem from making a check that will let you promise
the user something.
--

In article <scs.677425398@wotan.iti.org> scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Good point.  What we really need is a "standard library" that will do
>syntax checking on article headers.  Make it real portable, PD, and
>hand it out to the world.  Henry/Geoff, is this section of C-news
>"libraryizable"?  (gads, what a horrid neologism)

Probably not in the sense you're really after.  The header syntax is pretty
trivial; what's wanted is a *semantic* checker, so to speak, and that's much
harder to break out.  Header processing is a "hot spot" in timing, so much
attention has been paid to optimizing it.
--

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (06/25/91)

In article <285E730F.4EC0@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Scoob):
>> How about the popular ones (sorry I only know about UNIX ones):
>> rn, trn, nn, gnus, gnews, xrn ????  Do they post valid articles?
>
>Neither rn nor trn guarantees that the article it generates is valid.
>However, a C News site will reject an invalid article after it is
>submitted by rn or trn.

Gee, I'll be sure and patch my CP/M news posting software that I have no
source to so that it generates correct dates. Shoot, the darn system
doesn't even have a *clock*! Should be an interesting patch. Any of you
net.gods want to do it for me?

C news must die. Elvis runs usenet. Mail to elvis@epmooch.UUCP