[news.software.b] Changes to CNEWS date parsing - what is now l

jms@carat.arizona.edu (Joel M-for-Vnews Snyder) (06/25/91)

OK.  Thanks for all your cards and letters.  If I take the intersection
of RFC822+RFC1036+RFC1023 (5.2.14), then I get the following date
(as implemented above) as the MOST preferred:

	24 Jun 1991 16:32 -0700

with lower case not significant, but judged to be "a good thing" by some
elders knowledgable about buggy software out there.

HOWEVER, I'm looking at an August 1990 draft of the new NNTP spec, and it
says:

"Date and time now use ISO 3307 format, but for backward compatibility
the prior MMDDYY HHMMSS format may still be accepted.  Dates and
times are always in GMT."

How does this affect the date/time as discussed?

Wondering why they keep changing their mind,

jms

Joel M Snyder, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680 FAX: 602.795.0900
The Mosaic Group, Dep't of MIS, the University of Arizona, Tucson
BITNET: jms@sovset  Internet: jms@carat.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::carat::jms
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose." - Gracian

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (06/25/91)

jms@carat.arizona.edu (Joel M-for-Vnews Snyder) writes:
>HOWEVER, I'm looking at an August 1990 draft of the new NNTP spec, and it
>says:
>"Date and time now use ISO 3307 format, but for backward compatibility
>the prior MMDDYY HHMMSS format may still be accepted.  Dates and
>times are always in GMT."
>How does this affect the date/time as discussed?

Only for dates in the NNTP protocol, which are entirely different
animals from the dates in the article header.  ISO3307
(YYYYMMDDhhmmss[.xxxxxx]) is quite nice -- easy to parse.  (NNTP2 adds
an optional offset in minutes from GMT, instead of the timezones,
hallelujah.  Four digit years, too.  And microsecond precision.)  As
an implementor, I much prefer this format.  A specified unambiguous
all-numeric date standard is preferable since it can be sorted easily.

	Mark.

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/26/91)

In article <24JUN199116325508@carat.arizona.edu> jms@carat.arizona.edu writes:
>HOWEVER, I'm looking at an August 1990 draft of the new NNTP spec, and it
>says:
>
>"Date and time now use ISO 3307 format, but for backward compatibility
>the prior MMDDYY HHMMSS format may still be accepted.  Dates and
>times are always in GMT."

If you read carfully, you note that this has nothing to do with the Date:
field in news or mail. It has to do with an arguement to the NEWNEWS command.

Therefore, there is no conflict.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support