[news.software.b] Why aren't you working on Cnews, mathew?

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/21/91)

Mathew -
	I'm surprised at you. It's been a couple of days since
I posted to this group, offering my systems full resources in
allowing you to "fix" Cnews, yet you've still not responded.
   In case you missed my initial message (because some nasty
Cnews site gobbled it up), I will give you full access to
my system's resources. You can dial in at any time you
like. I'll give you the full set of Cnews sources and you
can play around as long as you like. I'm running on a NeXT
with BSD 4.3, so you shouldn't have any complaints concerning
developing environments or compatibility.
   Well, what about it? Just e-mail me at the address below,
I will give you the phone number (+1 607-277-1440) and an
account name and password (sorry, can't give those over the
usenet).

    - Jiro Nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com

ps. Sorry for wasting the net.bandwidth, everyone. It's just that
I can't trust e-mail, since it won't notify me properly if something
goes wrong in between. I think personally that e-mail should post
undeliverable mail to net.lost-mail with distribution: world. What
do you think? After all, it's very important that mathew get this
note.....

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

eah@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun20.225908.861@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>	[....]		I think personally that e-mail should post
>undeliverable mail to net.lost-mail with distribution: world. What
>do you think? After all, it's very important that mathew get this
>note.....
>Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com

Ohmygod!  Imminent Death of USENET Predicted (tm).

	! net.lost-mail

There's (seriously) no way we could handle that kind of bandwidth.

(sorry, I missed the smiley in your posting).
--
  Ed. A. Hew,  <edhew@xenitec.on.ca>  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah
  XeniTec Consulting Services, Kitchener, ON, Canada (519) 570-9848

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/24/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
> 	I'm surprised at you. It's been a couple of days since
> I posted to this group, offering my systems full resources in
> allowing you to "fix" Cnews, yet you've still not responded.
>    In case you missed my initial message (because some nasty
> Cnews site gobbled it up), I will give you full access to
> my system's resources. You can dial in at any time you
> like.

Ah, well that's your first problem.  I don't have a modem.

mathew

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/25/91)

In article <Pm12447w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>> [ ..... ], I will give you full access to
>> my system's resources. You can dial in at any time you
>> like.

>Ah, well that's your first problem.  I don't have a modem.

I have a spare Bell DataPhone 300 at home I'll be glad to loan you.
Even includes a reliable dial telephone.
Works fine. Used it for years, until I got my Courier 2400.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/26/91)

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
> In article <Pm12447w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *
> >Ah, well that's your first problem.  I don't have a modem.
>
> I have a spare Bell DataPhone 300 at home I'll be glad to loan you.
> Even includes a reliable dial telephone.
> Works fine. Used it for years, until I got my Courier 2400.

Right.  Next problem is that I don't have a suitable telephone line, and that
even if I did I'd be breaking the law if I connected your unapproved American
modem to it.

I'm currently looking at the possibility of moving over to MINIX and getting
C News to run on that.

mathew
[ And why is everyone using this newsgroup instead of email all of a sudden? ]

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/27/91)

In article <26m647w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a
*HUG*) writes:
> mathew
> [ And why is everyone using this newsgroup instead of email all of a sudden?
]

  And why didn't YOU mathew move over to e-mail say a couple of weeks
ago?  All I've seen in news.software.b has been flamefests at Cnews.
Why don't we let Henry get back to work and not waste his time with
ill-thought schemes? That way he can actually do something about
improving Cnews.

    - jiro
--

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Million Headed Monster) (06/28/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
> In article <26m647w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a
> *HUG*) writes:
> > [ And why is everyone using this newsgroup instead of email all of a sudden
> ]
>
>   And why didn't YOU mathew move over to e-mail say a couple of weeks
> ago?  All I've seen in news.software.b has been flamefests at Cnews.

Well, I suggest that you visit a qualified optician, as I posted a detailed
and entirely reasonable proposal concerning how to improve C News some six
days ago.

Perhaps you just didn't notice it; oddly enough, all the people who were busy
flaming me don't seem to have found anything to flame in my proposal.  This
seems to me to support my opinion that people haven't been listening to what
I've been saying.

I would have liked to have been able to discuss the problems with C News
without having to sit down and write a semi-formal proposal, but I suppose I
was just being over-optimistic in trying to do so.

> Why don't we let Henry get back to work and not waste his time with
> ill-thought schemes?

If you think my scheme is ill-thought, please tell me exactly what you think
is wrong with it.

So far as I am aware, you have yet to contribute anything of value to this
debate; your postings seem to consist of nothing but snide personal attacks
against me.  I am therefore setting followups to alt.flame, a much more
suitable place for that kind of posting.

mathew