[news.newsites] Map addition for u.usa.ny.1, a new site: "entire".

uucp@entire.xerox.com (UUCP Administrator) (12/21/87)

Here is yet another map entry for a new site here in sunny East Rochester, NY.
We have been online now for about 1 month.  As noted in the map I am currently
working with xerox, here in webster, for the UUCP map additions.  At this point
we are not in the posted uucp maps.  So please have pity on a orphane site and
add us to your map database.

#N	entire
#S	Intel 80386 PC System; Interactive Systems, 386/ix (Unix System V.3)
#O	Entire Inc., Engineering Center, East Building.
#C	John A. Gallant
#E	entire!postmaster
#T	+1 716 381 7870
#P	435 W. Commercial Street, East Rochester, New York, 14445
#L	43 07 04 N / 77 29 59 W
#R	Running: news version 2.11;  Sendmail/smail
#U	rocksanne
#W	entire!jag (John A. Gallant); Mon Dec 21 10:59:23 EST 1987
#
#	I am working with xerox on the domain name, we are UUCP only.
entire	.entire.xerox.com
entire=	entire.xerox.com
entire	rama(DEMAND), rocksanne(DIRECT) iwa(DIRECT) xrx3b(DEMAND)

John A. Gallant                 UUCP:  {..}!rochester!rocksanne!entire!uucp
Defacto UUCP Administrator
Entire Inc./Xerox

	I don't mind lying, but I hate inaccuracy.
	    Samuel Butler

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (12/29/87)

In article <3121@entire.xerox.com> uucp@entire.xerox.com (UUCP Administrator) writes:
>Here is yet another map entry for a new site here in sunny East Rochester, NY.
>#N	entire
>#S	Intel 80386 PC System; Interactive Systems, 386/ix (Unix System V.3)
>entire=	entire.xerox.com

Sorry, but we can't very well have every PC in the world on the UUCP
map.  Since you are in the .xerox.com domain it's unnecessary anyway;
my site already knows how to mail to machines in the .xerox.com
domain and if entire.xerox.com were your official name, I could mail
to you without any information being added to the UUCP map. (The mail
would go to the .xerox.com gateway and then to you).

In any case, with a company the size of Xerox I doubt if you'd get
to be entire.xerox.com; at the least you'd be entire.division.xerox.com
where "division" is some subdomain inside Xerox.

To give you an example of how it works at a much tinier company: I
maintain the internal pathalias tables for the .epi.com domain.
We can add additional hosts as we like, and no one outside the
company knows the details; the UUCP maps say how to get to .epi.com
and we take care of the rest.

I suggest you consult with some e-mail experts inside your company;
your internal mail configuration should be approved by them and it
isn't really our concern.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (12/30/87)

In article <1777@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>Sorry, but we can't very well have every PC in the world on the UUCP
>map.

What an incredibly obnoxious statement. The mere fact that someone runs UNIX
on a small computer condemns them forever to forego representation in the
UUCP map? What's next? Shall we banish the small 68000 boxes? Maybe we can
even burn a few witches while we're at it, oh, what fun.
--
Bill Wisner / billw@killer.UUCP / ..{cbosgd,codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw
Internet types can try billw@OBERON.LCS.MIT.EDU, for now anyway

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (12/30/87)

In article <1777@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <3121@entire.xerox.com> uucp@entire.xerox.com (UUCP Administrator) writes:
>>Here is yet another map entry for a new site here in sunny East Rochester, NY.
>>#N	entire
>>#S	Intel 80386 PC System; Interactive Systems, 386/ix (Unix System V.3)
>>entire=	entire.xerox.com
>
>Sorry, but we can't very well have every PC in the world on the UUCP
>map.

[Then on about being in the Xerox domain...]

Um, I wouldn't be so bigotted if I were you - a 386 running V.3 isn't
exactly a "PC" in the normal sense - in horsepower it's pretty close
to a Sun and it could easily have 16 or more users.  It doesn't appear to
be a "personal computer" either - the "Entire Inc." seems to imply that
it's not his personal machine.  It is a little confusing tho - his
map entry seems to imply he's separate from Xerox, but is trying
to get the Xerox domain to know him.  Maybe his .xerox.com is a little
premature?
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc}!spectrix!clewis

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/31/87)

In <2613@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) replies:
> What an incredibly obnoxious statement. The mere fact that someone runs
> UNIX on a small computer condemns them forever to forego representation
> in the UUCP map?

	I think it's just a matter of practicality.  The maps are already
pretty big, and getting bigger all the time (a typical day sees 3 or 4 new
sites announcing themselves; that's 1000 a year).  The Internet underwent
this growing pain a while ago, switching from an all-inclusive hosts file
to hierarcial name servers.  Clearly that is the intent of the uucp mapping
project as well.  It seems to me that the only practical thing to do for
single-user home PC's would be to have some larger site which is in the
maps to agree to forward mail for them.

	Granted, it is not always easy to find someone who will forward
mail for you.  We used to hand out uucp links pretty freely.  Now, I spend
some time thinking "do we really want to talk to this site?" before I
agree.  If the proposed link is for a home PC, I almost always say "No"
because I've been seen too many sites badly run by part-time SA's, causing
me unending trouble at this end.  No, I'm not saying that all home PC's are
sloppily run, or even most, but I've been burned so many times I've learned
to stay away from the fire.  Offering to pay my phone bills is nice, but
impractical and non-sequitur; it's not the few 10-cent phone calls that
bother me, it's the time spent cleaning up (ever have to wade through
literally hundreds of mail messages about malformed uux requests?)

	In a dense area (such as New York City) it might make sense for a
bunch of single user sites to band together and designate one of them as
the mail funneler to be shown in the maps as a domain; I could see sending
mail to foo@bar.nyc-pc.com and hand off mail to the other sites.  Perhaps
it would be appropriate for the local Unix groups (such as Unigroup of New
York) to operate this service for their members.

	In fact, I think given the lack of security in UUCP, it would be
possible (actually, pretty trivial) for several physically distant PC's to
masquerade as a single UUCP site (which could be in the map); each would
call the common feed periodically and pick up everthing addressed to the
pseudo-site.  It would keep what was really meant for it and forward the
rest to the other sites.  On the other end, the forwarder would simply need
to maintain several L.sys lines for the pseudo-sites; each would correspond
to a different phone line with a different PC; whichever one answers first
would announce itself as the pseudo-site.  One could even imagine the SA at
the feed site for this pseudo-site not even being aware he was talking to
more than one PC (assuming he didn't get suspicious about the varied phone
numbers).  There might be some subtle problems with simultaneous
conversations to different PC's which are part of the same site, but I
think the standard built-in UUCP locking mechanism would deal with this.
UUCP meets distributed computing!

	Oh, and before somebody jumps on me, by PC I mean the generic
concept of a Personal Computer, be it an IBM-PC or your own personal Vax.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (12/31/87)

Roy Smith (roy@phri.UUCP) writes:
> It seems to me that the only practical thing to do for
> single-user home PC's would be to have some larger site which is in the
> maps to agree to forward mail for them.
>
> 	Oh, and before somebody jumps on me, by PC I mean the generic
> concept of a Personal Computer, be it an IBM-PC or your own personal Vax.

I agree with Roy.  For some time, I've had a 68020-based system at home
with 10 serial ports.  It is nominally an 8 user system.  I am the only
user.  I use an MS-DOS PC (AT&T 6300) as the console terminal.  My site
has been in the maps for a long time, but only as a site talked to by
my machine at work, mcdchg.  My home system would clearly not be considered
a PC based on hardware configuration.  It is a well-run site, causing no
problems for my feed (me).  I use this system for actual work-related
matters for my job, so it's not really a "personal" system.  However,
I have not submitted a full map entry for it, as I am the only real user.
I believed the information on map entries that said that the mapping project
was not interested in having a map entry for every PC out there.  Typically,
a PC (like my "8-user" home system) will have just one (or maybe two)
UUCP connections.  Their "upstream" site(s) will have them in their map
entry, so they can be found, just as "falkor" can be found, via "mcdchg".
The only real reason why a map entry for "falkor" might be useful is
so someone could contact me by mail or phone.  Well, in that case, a call
to my feed site admin (me) would get them the proper information on the
falkor admin (me).
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (01/01/88)

In article <2613@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>What an incredibly obnoxious statement. The mere fact that someone runs UNIX
>on a small computer condemns them forever to forego representation in the
>UUCP map? What's next? Shall we banish the small 68000 boxes? Maybe we can
>even burn a few witches while we're at it, oh, what fun.

Bill, I'm sorry you took offense.  But the UUCP map is already too
big for PCs to deal with.  The whole purpose of domainism is to
reduce the size of the UUCP map, even as the net grows.  The person
who posted the map entry indicated that he was or soon would be a
member of the .xerox.com domain.  So there's no reason for the UUCP
map to contain information on little computers owned by big
organizations.

As for little computers owned by individuals: if UUPC becomes wildly
popular, we're stll going to run up against a wall at some point
where we can't have everybody on the map.  Since the domain
registration fee was instituted, I've been waiting for the other shoe
to drop (that is, a fee for having a site appear in the map).
Unfortunately, the fee currently goes to the wrong people, since
the major expense generated by sites appearing on the UUCP map is
the cost of sending comp.mail.maps around the world.  Seems like some
of the fees should subsidize uunet and the European backbone; it's
hard to see how to distribute revenue to someone else.

--

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Mr. nEtural) (01/01/88)

In article <365@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) writes:

) Um, I wouldn't be so bigotted if I were you - a 386 running V.3 isn't
) exactly a "PC" in the normal sense - in horsepower it's pretty close
) to a Sun and it could easily have 16 or more users.

Oh, boy!  I'll register all the suns here in the uucp map!  Won't
that be jolly fun as the U. Chicago entry suddenly expands to 20
times its size?
					Matt

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (01/02/88)

> 	In fact, I think given the lack of security in UUCP, it would be
> possible (actually, pretty trivial) for several physically distant PC's to
> masquerade as a single UUCP site (which could be in the map); each would
> call the common feed periodically and pick up everthing addressed to the
> pseudo-site.  It would keep what was really meant for it and forward the
> rest to the other sites.

This isn't a new idea; it's been done by several organizations that have
installations at widely-separated sites.

>	...  There might be some subtle problems with simultaneous
> conversations to different PC's which are part of the same site, but I
> think the standard built-in UUCP locking mechanism would deal with this.
> UUCP meets distributed computing!

The only problem is that uucp really doesn't allow two adjacent sites to
have the same name, or for one site to have two neighbors with the same
name.  However, at least on Sys/V machines, there is a simple solution.
These come with at least two names (see /usr/include/sys/utsname.h) that
are called the 'sysname' and 'nodename'.  The idea was that they were for
use on different (local/global?) networks.  UUCP uses the nodename.  If
two machines have different sysnames and the same nodename, they can't
talk UUCP, but they can use any mailer or ftp that uses the sysname.
You can easily replace /bin/rmail on both systems with a forwarder of
your choice that figures out where the recipient really lives.

Lately I've been working on some BSD systems; I've yet to find anything
comparable there, though I'd like to get some flames about how blind
I've been (:-).

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (01/02/88)

In article <1788@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>Bill, I'm sorry you took offense.  But the UUCP map is already too
>big for PCs to deal with.

Again, there's that attitude I railed against. Who says the UUCP map is
already too big for PCs? I've known a one-man consulting firm with a PC
AT that had nearly 400 megs of disk space. That's more than some particularly
small-time VAXen I've used.

>As for little computers owned by individuals: if UUPC becomes wildly
>popular, we're stll going to run up against a wall at some point
>where we can't have everybody on the map.  Since the domain
>registration fee was instituted, I've been waiting for the other shoe
>to drop (that is, a fee for having a site appear in the map).
>Unfortunately, the fee currently goes to the wrong people, since
>the major expense generated by sites appearing on the UUCP map is
>the cost of sending comp.mail.maps around the world.  Seems like some
>of the fees should subsidize uunet and the European backbone; it's
>hard to see how to distribute revenue to someone else.

UUPC is the farthest thing from my mind. I am talking about small
computers -- "PC"s -- that run REAL (well, sorta) UNIX. At a place like
MIT, there are a zillion Sun workstations, any of which can snarf news
via NNTP. Why map them? Internet mail works fine in such cases. A small
company that I won't name is only reachable via UUCP but also has a
zillion networked Suns. Don't map them, add two or three lines to your map
entry using the pathalias LAN notation. Now, the flip side: there are zillions
of small organizations out there that have one single PC running UNIX which
serves as their sole link to the outside world. Map them! Map them!
I certainly prefer sending mail to user@obscure-site.UUCP than toiling
for an hour trying to come up with a path to obscure-site-neighbor.

Entire's case is.. strange. My impression is that Entire is a seperate
company that plans to harbor itself under the xerox.com domain for mail
benefits. If that is the case, I can see a seperate map entry for a
seperate entity. If, on the other hand, it is a subsidiary, then let it
be handled by the xerox.com gateway.
--
Bill Wisner / {cbosgd,codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw / billw@oberon.LCS.MIT.EDU
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (01/02/88)

Okay, so we've got a semantic dispute here. Just so we all know what we're
talking about, why not agree on some terms here? For lack of a better word,
PC can be a generic word for a small computer, as typified by the IBM PC.
Workstation will refer to a machine that is, regardless of size or hardware
configuration, used by a single person. By these definitions, a PC can
certainly be a Workstation. Grok?
--

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (01/02/88)

In article <14187@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Mr. nEtural) writes:
|In article <365@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) writes:
|
|) Um, I wouldn't be so bigotted if I were you - a 386 running V.3 isn't
|) exactly a "PC" in the normal sense - in horsepower it's pretty close
|) to a Sun and it could easily have 16 or more users.
|
|Oh, boy!  I'll register all the suns here in the uucp map!  Won't
|that be jolly fun as the U. Chicago entry suddenly expands to 20
|times its size?
|					Matt

Um, sorry, maybe I left something out - if "entire" was part of
the xerox.com domain, then the original poster was correct in suggesting
that "entire" shouldn't be registered.  No quibble with that.  I was
only objecting to the automatic assumption that the machine was
"beneath consideration" because the machine contained the letters "PC".
(He probably didn't mean "Personal Computer", but "386 in a box that *looks*
like a PC." - We had trouble marketting the 386 in that guise at shows because
everybody thought the thing was "just another goddamn AT clone..." - a 386
running ISC V.3 is nowhere near being that...  Damn fine product...)).

(Besides, it's not at all clear from the original posting that entire
is yet part of the xerox domain...)

--

mechjgh@tness1.UUCP (Greg Hackney 214+464-2771) (01/03/88)

In article <3121@entire.xerox.com> uucp@entire.xerox.com (UUCP Administrator) writes:
>Here is yet another map entry for a new site here in sunny East Rochester
>please have pity on a orphane site and add us to your map database.
>#N	entire
>#S	Intel 80386

Jeez, I wonder if the poster at "entire" knew what they were getting into
when they politely submitted a map entry?

I'd like to say, "Welcome to the world, entire, glad to have you aboard!".
I'll be glad to add you to my "paths" file!

If anyone else doesn't have the room, then don't add "entire". It's
simple enough.

I feel confident that the existing routing scheme will eventually
be further evolved.

--
Greg Hackney
S.W. Bell Telephone Co.

sal@entire.xerox.com (Steve A. Lipetz) (01/05/88)

In article <1777@epimass.EPI.COM>, jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
> Sorry, but we can't very well have every PC in the world on the UUCP
> map.

Another response to this article indicated that we at Entire were an
"unusual" situation. How very insightful. Perhaps the .xerox.com was
premature (we're having no end of difficulties getting added to the domain).
At the moment, we are not part of XEROX.COM and our news feed (roxanne) has
only just stabilized. Node entire is part of multi-node LAN and the people
adminstering it aren't exactly novices (we've a total of ten years usenet
experience between us). I won't take umbrage at the PC slight. I'm used to
bigger machines too. But no way does it disqualify us as legitimate members
of the community. Entire (the company) is a Xerox subsidiary with a slight
twist - we're effectively independent (and apparently are treated as such,
judging by our attempts to join the domain).

Meanwhile, entire (the PC) serves over fifty people and thirty nodes.
It would be nice if we could get some mail now and then and that's all
that we were trying to accomplish. When I was back at Harris(".COM"),
predomain, the Net Police chided us for not posting a map. This one
was premature, I admit. We had no business indicating we were part of
a domain prior to actually joining it. On the other hand, we want to get
listed. We're real, we read news, and we believe in UUCP. Now, how 'bout
some constructive, non-inflammatory comments?
Steve Lipetz
Entire Inc.				UUCP: <you figure it out>!entire!sal
435 E. Commercial Street
East Rochester, N.Y. 14445

uucp@entire.xerox.com (UUCP Administrator) (01/05/88)

In article <2637@killer.UUCP>, billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
> In article <2613@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (yes, that's me) writes:
> >>What an incredibly obnoxious statement. The mere fact that someone runs UNIX
> >>on a small computer condemns them forever to forego representation in the
> >>UUCP map?

Thank you Bill, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Perhaps I made a "oops"
by including the letters "PC".  In agreement with <365@spectrix.UUCP> Chris
R. Lewis, this system is not a personal computer.  The only "PC" part is the
outer box and disk controller, the AT card form factor is used, 8 Meg of 32 bit
RAM, 3 2400 baud modems, Micom INTERLAN ethernet card, two 9600 baud 8 port
serial cards, and 200 Meg of disk storage.  Is this you average mom and pop
PC AT ? :-)
Oh yes, I plan on going to an ARLL disk controller and 400 Meg of disk storage.

> In article <1788@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
> >Bill, I'm sorry you took offense.  But the UUCP map is already too
> >big for PCs to deal with.
> ....................................Now, the flip side: there are zillions
> of small organizations out there that have one single PC running UNIX which
> serves as their sole link to the outside world. Map them! Map them!
> I certainly prefer sending mail to user@obscure-site.UUCP than toiling
> for an hour trying to come up with a path to obscure-site-neighbor.

Our site can be considered a small organization, we have about 70 people and
about 70 PC AT's running MS DOS and 5 Unix stations, all are using the Intel
80386 mother board, and linked via SMTP.  The node "entire" is our only!
UUCP link to the outside world.

> Entire's case is.. strange. My impression is that Entire is a seperate
> company that plans to harbor itself under the xerox.com domain for mail
> benefits. If that is the case, I can see a seperate map entry for a
> seperate entity. If, on the other hand, it is a subsidiary, then let it
> be handled by the xerox.com gateway.

We are effectivly a seperate company, and yes I was hoping to "harbor"
ourselves under the xerox.com domain for mail.  At some point the UUCP map
entry for Xerox in Webster (rocksanne), which is a little old "01/23/85", will
be updated to contian our link with them.  At this point, and the main problem
that I am having is there is not a map for xerox.com in the UUCP domain.  It
exists for DARPA and a couple of internets for xerox.  I am sure that the
DARPA network does not need to know about us.  So that leaves me with two
options.  First, work with the administrator of xerox.com, whomever he is, the
SA of rocksanne is helping me with this angle, and "map" us in the UUCP overlay
of the DARPA map for Xerox.  And the second is to purchase a domain under
com.UUCP, and call us entire.com, I am also looking into this possiblity.
Either way the map information that I posted will still probably go into the
UUCP maps.

I posted the entry to news.newsites to simply allow SA's who want to keep
the map entries up to date, that is if they enjoy adding in "about 1000" sites
a year :-), and to say to the world "Hello out there".  When I was trying to
set up an "sc.harris.com" map entry, the map people recomended that I post to
newsites and have the administrator of ".harris.com" add us to their map
entry.  Well following that advice for entire, I have posted the map and I am
working on the approval, as I tried to state in the posting.

I am currently handling mail and news for a down stream site and I expect that
when rocksvax, another local hub, officially goes away I may be picking up a
few more.  I am trying to setup a valid UUCP site, not a fly by night 'puter
sitting out there.

I apologize to those on the net who were offended, and for the excess traffic
on the net.  Once I have this mapping grief handled, anyone from xerox.com
or the UUCP mapping people out there????, I will be as happy as a pig in sh*t.
To quote a phrase: "Thank you for your support.".

--

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (01/06/88)

In article <1788@epimass.EPI.COM>, jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
> As for little computers owned by individuals: if UUPC becomes wildly
> popular, we're stll going to run up against a wall at some point
> where we can't have everybody on the map.  Since the domain
> registration fee was instituted, I've been waiting for the other shoe
> to drop (that is, a fee for having a site appear in the map).

That's exxactly why I haven't - and won't - register for a domain. I can't
see a reason why I should spend money to be able to have someone send me
mail at 'jay@splut.confmsys.com' (or whatever). The domain system doesn't
accommodate individual systems worth a flip. If there were no fee for
registering domains, then I would have no heartburn about registering a
'houston.pc' domain and acting as the domain gateway. We will probably wind
up with a domain system on the order of '.city-pc.state', but it'll take a
lot of heartache. The alternative is to tell the PC owners that they can't
hook up to the net and exxpect to get mail. Anyone trying to tell me that
(except my feed :-) will get told to hang it in their ear.

Note that uupc isn't the only way to get on the net - more and more PCs can
run real Unix...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay